Re: [mythsoc] Sales of _The Lord of the Rings_

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 16, 2004
      At 05:54 AM 1/16/2004 -0500, WendellWag@... wrote:
      >Here's a website that quotes a HarperCollins statement that the total sales
      >of _The Lord of the Rings_ is about 100 million:

      "Well on the way to 100 million" which is promotional person weasel-talk
      for "well, we know that it's more than 50 million."

      >Please note that this is not counting all Tolkien's books. It's counting
      >complete copies of _The Lord of the Rings_. In other words, a copy of the
      >one-volume edition counts as one copy of the book. Each set of all three
      >volumes of
      >the three-volume edition counts as one copy of the book.

      What's not clear is if the three-volume edition only counts if you buy it
      as a set. What if you buy the three volumes separately at once? Actually,
      it's not entirely clear from what's stated there whether sales of the
      individual volumes figure in at all, and if so how they're counted.

      >Also, I failed to
      >comment earlier that just counting Houghton-Mifflin's editions is
      >insufficient.

      This one is an estimated world-wide figure.

      - David Bratman