[mythsoc] Reading (was idiotic film? -- or other books anyway)

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2004
      My experience was similar; my mom read mysteries and belonged to something
      called "the Detective Book Club." Three tales in one book, and they looked
      something like Reader's Digest Condensed Books. She did introduce me to
      Perry Mason. My stepfather read the papers, maybe an occasional magazine;
      that was about all I ever saw him read. They were both working.

      I was the reader and book collector in my house; most of my allowance went
      for books. Luckily, my parents never tried to censor what I read, and
      trusted me to make decisions about what was appropriate. I don't recall
      being read to much, but I read dictionaries and figured out that these were
      some of the most interesting repositories of knowledge; they not only told
      me how to pronounce things but defined them. I'm the type that when I found
      a new word in a story, I'd consult the glossary, and / or a dictionary. I
      felt as if I'd found a new treasure when I learned a new word. ---djb