RE: [mythsoc] idiotic film? -- or other books anyway

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 15, 2004
      Very interesting stories, Wendell! It's fascinating how some people with
      non-reading parents grow up to be voracious readers. My mom read a lot,
      and my dad reads more now that he is retired, so it's not too strange
      that my brother and I are both librarians with houses full of books. My
      daughter's carrying on the proud family tradition of cleaning her room
      only so she can fit in more books. But my husband grew up with an
      "aliterate" mother -- could read, but never read a novel, and proud of
      it -- and a grandmother who had been a schoolteacher but later only read
      the Bible and religious magazines, as far as I could tell. His brother
      reads technical manuals, like Scottie on Star Trek, and that's about it.
      So why did he grow up to read everything in sight, like Wendell? Not
      that I'm complaining -- when you can double your library by marrying
      someone, what's to complain about!

      Janet