Re: Mission to Mars, medical aspects

  • Keiran Proffer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 2004
      Yes, very interesting. C S Lewis's grasp of science was shaky in
      the extreme. In some cases he ignored it: he knew that the idea
      of "canals" on Mars has been exploded before he wrote "Out of the
      Silent Planet". When he had Ramsom bathing in the celestial light he
      was making a riposte to Pascal who had worried about the vast
      emptiness of space, and asked why God had created it. Lewis was
      suggesting that space is in fact full. Here he may have been right:
      there is now talk of a structure to the vacuum of space, and of "dark
      matter" filling all the universe.
      As regards the problems described in the article, most of them
      have been handled in science fiction. The lack of gravity has been
      covered by having the space ship shaped like a cylinder and spinning
      on its axis. Unfortunately, the cylinder must be quite large in both
      directions for this to work. Also there must be a part of the ship
      which is not spinning, so that the pilot can see where he is going.
      Getting from the spinning to the non-spinning part causes problems.
      Protectiong from radiation has been handled by having a layer of
      ice round the ship. That is, take a lot of water up with you and let
      it freeze in space. Unfortunately, it will also evaporate off, so
      even the ice must be enclosed in a shell of metal or something.
      In the end you have a large cylinder with a metal hull, then a
      layer of ice or some medium which absorbs radiation, then another
      hull. At this poiint the whole thing gets so cumbersome that the
      author decide to send his travellers by hyperspace.

      Keiran Proffer

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Stolzi@a... wrote:
      > This article is extremely interesting to anyone with interest in
      space
      > travel, but I post it here for another reason. One of the chief
      hazards it posits
      > is the danger that cosmic radiation will greatly increase the risk
      of cancer in
      > space voyagers.
      >
      > http://www.jeromegroopman.com/mom.html
      >

      > This puts an ironic note to CS Lewis' imagination of
      Ransom "bathing" in the