Re: Reading to kids (was [mythsoc] idiotic film? -- or other books anyway)

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 14, 2004
      In a message dated 1/14/2004 9:25:35 AM Central Standard Time,
      margdean@... writes:

      >And boy, does it point up the difference between authors with an "ear" (like
      Tolkien, or >Milne, or E.B. White) and those without!

      CS Lewis was always talking about the importance of "hearing" the sentence,
      and particularly said (iirc) that children's books should be adapted to reading
      aloud, and yet he puts in some extensive parentheses in his Narnia stories
      that are very hard to navigate when reading aloud. Homer nodding, I suppose.

      One of my favorite nominees for reading aloud, precisely for the reason of
      the wonderful rhythms, is (or are) Kipling's "Just-So Stories."

      Diamond Proudbrook