Mythopoeic Awards nominations

  • Eleanor Farrell
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7 6:24 PM
      I would like to send a reminder that the deadline for nominations for the
      2000 Mythopoeic Awards is fast approaching! All Mythopoeic Society members
      are eligible to nominate books for any of our four awards for fiction and
      scholarship, and are also welcome to join any of the committees for
      choosing these awards. I have included a copy of the complete press release
      at the bottom of this message; please don't hesitate to contact me with any
      questions.

      Thanks!

      Ellie Farrell
      Awards Administrator
      emfarrell@...

      ----------------

      Press Release -- 2000 Mythopoeic Awards

      Members of the Mythopoeic Society are invited to join the committees which
      choose the Society's annual Fantasy and Scholarship Awards, and/or to
      nominate eligible books. Nominations (no more than five books for each
      award, please) and requests to serve on the selection committees should be
      sent by February 29, 2000 to the awards administrator, Eleanor M. Farrell,
      P.O. Box 320486, San Francisco, CA 94132-0486,
      emfarrell@....

      The Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Adult Literature is given to the fantasy
      novel, multi-volume, or single-author story collection for adults published
      during 1999 that best exemplifies "the spirit of the Inklings". Reissues
      (such as paperback editions) are eligible if no earlier edition was a
      finalist. Books from a series are eligible if they stand on their own;
      otherwise, the series is eligible the year its final volume appears. Last
      year's winner was Stardust by Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess.

      The Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children's Literature honors books for
      younger readers (from "Young Adults" to picture books for beginning
      readers), in the tradition of The Hobbit or The Chronicles of Narnia. Rules
      for eligibility are otherwise the same as for the Adult Literature award.
      The question of which award a borderline book is best suited for will be
      decided by consensus of the committees. Last year's winner was Dark Lord of
      Derkholm by Diana Wynne Jones.

      The Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Inklings Studies is given to books on
      Tolkien, Lewis, and/or Williams that make significant contributions to
      Inklings scholarship. For this award, books first published during the last
      three years (1997-1999) are eligible, including finalists for previous
      years. Last year's winner was C.S. Lewis: A Companion & Guide by Walter
      Hooper.

      The Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Myth and Fantasy Studies is given to
      scholarly books on other specific authors in the Inklings tradition, or to
      more general works on the genres of myth and fantasy. The period of
      eligibility is three years, as for the Inklings Studies award. Last year's
      winner was A Century of Welsh Myth in Children's Literature by Donna R.
      White.

      Volunteers for the committees must state their willingness to read all the
      finalists, and also state whether or not they are willing to be included on
      an address list to be distributed among the committee for purposes of
      discussion. For each committee, Eleanor will be sending out lists of
      nominees in early March, from which you must pick five books that you would
      like to see as finalists. Your choices must be returned to Eleanor by May
      15; she will then tabulate the vote and inform the committee of the five
      finalists. These five are the books you must read (or re-read) by the final
      voting deadline of July 15. Please volunteer, and come to hear the winners
      announced at the banquet during Mythcon XXXI, to be held in Volcano,
      Hawaii, from August 18-20th.

      A complete list of Mythopoeic Award winners is available on the Society web
      site:

      www.mythsoc.org/awards.html

      The finalists for the literature awards, text of recent acceptance
      speeches, and selected book reviews are also listed in this on-line section.
    • Grace E. Funk
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 11 4:29 PM
        Dear Ellie;
        I would like to nominate for the Mythopeoic Fantasy Award for
        Children's Literature:
        1.The Circle of Magic series consisting of four books [Sandry's Book,
        Tris' Book, Daja's Book, and Briar's Book by Tamore Pierce. (New York.
        Scholastic)The series was completed in 1999. The series is more like
        incidents in a continuing saga than separate stories, about the four young
        mages. So does that count as one book, or four?
        2. Firegold by Dia Calhoun, Winslow Press, 1999.

        Grace E. Funk

        Grace E. Funk R.R. #1, Lumby, B.C. V0E 2G0 Phone (250)547-6333