discuss, or argue?

  • odzer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2004
      Michael Martinez wrote:

      >Either you persuade the other person to your
      >
      >point of view or you don't.

      -------
      Either or?

      How about **discuss** a subject of interest, not in a contest to win or lose,
      to **persuade**; but to exchange considered views, maybe learn something,
      maybe point out something of interest to others, whose views may change, or may
      instead evolve, becoming more nuanced, or elaborated.

      Or maybe not.

      Perhaps views, understandings, may even evolve in altogether new direction.
      Or, become firmer in their current stance.

      Sure there is also a time to say-hey, you are wrong, buddy, it ain't so,
      here's why...

      But this need not be done with rancor, in this forum especially.

      I meant none towards you, if i was making it seem as if i felt so,
      again,
      I offer my regrets.
      -----
      >The world isn't going to stop revolving just because I didn't cave in
      >
      >to your arguments.
      ------
      see above.
      ------
      >Sensible and well-reasoned arguments don't take things to a personal

      level the way you have.
      --------
      How was I initially personal about you, by which i assume you mean personal
      in an offensive way, other than eventually protesting, with some heat in the
      end, yes, that i felt mistreated, disrespected by your characterizations of the
      people and arguments with which you debated?

      As for the subject of personalizing the discussion, I ask that we continue
      that off list, ** if** you wish.

      The subject of discussion vs. debate vs. argument, however, is something I
      think is worth continuing here, **if** you or any others have a response to
      offer.

      If not, I thank you for your time and thought on these matters, and I hope we
      can **continue** be civil, if not warm, in any future exchanges of views here
      on the list.

      -John