to respond or not,worthy question or not

  • odzer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2004
      Michael wrote also:

      >I'm under no obligation to respond to every person who posts in a

      thread.

      Agreed.

      However, if someone asks you ( asks one) a specific question, responding
      directly to something you have written, or to the perceived implications thereof,
      or to something not addressed in your remarks, which they propose needs be
      addressed, they presumably consider it germaine to an ongoing discussion. Sure,
      you **may** dismiss such questions or comments without reply.

      If others listening to the discussion also consider it a valid, or
      interesting question, they **may** wonder why no reply is offered.

      But no (or rather, so yes?), lack of a reply need not be taken de facto to
      indicate a lack of a possible response, so again, yes, agreed. **However**, I
      again submit that a lack of response to a well considered question( which
      however the one questioned thought it not to be, granted), raised in mid
      discussion, **may** raise doubts for some, as to if a thoughtful answer is indeed
      available.

      In writing the above, I venture to mention, confess, that I several times
      caught myself beginning to use the verb 'persuade,' which I acknowledge supports
      your contention that persuasion is an element of exchanges here, and I thus
      somewhat undermine my suggestion that it is exchanges of views, not persuasion,
      that is central to debates, er, um, I mean 'dialogues' on this list.

      John