Re: yrderzomenymororses..,

  • gfunk@xxxxxxxx.xx.xxxxxxxxxxx.xxxxx)
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 24, 1999
      To Diane Baker
      You wrote "As for Terry Goodkind, he can be very rich, even with generics:
      cloaks of sable "thick, black,and soft as sin."
      Terry Goodkind did not make up that phrase (even though he may think he
      did, I suppose). He is quoting from the poem "Lepanto" by G.K. Chesterton.

      "King Philip's in his closet wiyh the Fleece about his neck,
      (Don John of Austria is armed upon the deck)
      The walls are hung with velvet that is blacvk and soft aas sin,
      And little dwarfs creep out of it and little dwarfs creep in."
      Grace E. Funk
      --------------

      Grace E. Funk R.R. #1, Lumby, B.C. V0E 2G0 Phone (250)547-6333
    • LeslieJ55@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 25, 1999
        Comment to MamaT:
        Would be great if you could name the book, and tell us why they are not "in
        the tradition" of Tolkien. "In the tradition of Tolkien" has become a
        catchall phrase for publishers trying to push fantasy books for quite some
        time now. Yet there really isn't a Tradition of Tolkien. Tolkien was very
        unique in almost all of his work. The use of historical truth blended into
        myth( myth is hstory In COLOR: read with Magic)(Please look into the works of
        Joseph Wambaugh). Tolkien reaches into the classsic myth form and through
        subtlety explores the morality play of prejudice, bigotry, the causes of war,
        and the search for liberty and honor. He explores the depths of humanity
        while allowing us to leave our own space (this earth) and see it from another
        side. Fantasy prior to Tolkien had not entered such classically true
        human emotions.
        Since the 60's Tolkien "Phenomena" or TolkienMania, fans of his work (and
        Lewis and others) have grown to be adults attempting to show the impact this
        work has had on their lives, their thinking, and their ideas of what should be
        the fantasy novel. The outpouring is great. THAT is in the Tradition of
        Tolkien.

        Just had to pour out these thoughts.

        LeslieJ55@...
        Hampton,VA
        A Hobbit speaks.
      • LeslieJ55@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 25, 1999
          Maria T.,
          sorry, one : got your name wrong when I wrote.

          Secondly: feeling slammed? yeah, that's fandom.

          A Hobbit Returns.
          LeslieJ55@...
          Hampton,VA
        • LeslieJ55@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 25, 1999
            Any old Mythies out there from 69-76 Los Angeles?

            Love to hear from you.

            LeslieJ55@...
            A Hobbit Returns.
          • c howlett
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 25, 1999
              Grace,
              Thanks for the quote from G.K. Chesterton. I've read all his Father
              Brown's, but never got into his poetry. I wonder if the literary theft was
              unconscious; such a great line might hover in the back of your mind and
              resurrect itself as one's own...
              Christy
              >You wrote "As for Terry Goodkind, he can be very rich, even with generics:
              >cloaks of sable "thick, black,and soft as sin."
              >Terry Goodkind did not make up that phrase (even though he may think he
              >did, I suppose). He is quoting from the poem "Lepanto" by G.K. Chesterton.
              >
              >"King Philip's in his closet wiyh the Fleece about his neck,
              >(Don John of Austria is armed upon the deck)
              >The walls are hung with velvet that is blacvk and soft aas sin,
              >And little dwarfs creep out of it and little dwarfs creep in."
              >Grace E. Funk
              >--------------
              >

              >Grace E. Funk R.R. #1, Lumby, B.C. V0E 2G0 Phone (250)547-6333

              >Come see our new web site! http://www.onelist.com
            • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 25, 1999
                At 05:55 AM 2/25/99 EST, LeslieJ55@... wrote:
                >From: LeslieJ55@...
                >
                >Any old Mythies out there from 69-76 Los Angeles?

                Hi -

                Lisa Deutsch, San Fernando Valley, 1968-1970 (then I moved to Santa Cruz).
                It was Paula Sigman's fault! There were only two or three branches when I
                joined. Mythprint was the only publication. Glen GoodKnight went to every
                branch meeting. Bonnie Callahan was Bonnie Bergstrom, and Sherwood Smith was
                Christine Smith. They are both still active! How many other maiden names can
                I drag up?

                Lots of us oldtimers still running about after all these years. Must be
                crazy about fantasy, or something...

                What's your full name? I'm lousy at remembering names, but I might remember
                something.

                Mythically yours,

                Lisa
              • LeslieJ55@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 26, 1999
                  Lisa,
                  good to hear from you. I was Leslie Mardis, strawberry blonde hair, friends
                  with Glen,Bonnie, Bernie, Tasha. You and I used to talk alot.

                  What happened with the group. I know Glen and Bonnie were divorcing when I
                  left in 1976. I married Patrick Maloney, also a member, and I know they had a
                  picnic after that. Bernie started the Phantasie Society for awhile. We saw
                  people off and on when we return to Calif. Pat was in the Navy. I am now
                  getting divorced.

                  I joined the sociiety in Feb 1969 with my friends Dawn Morris, Linda McGee,
                  and Anne Woods. I have photos of you from old yulemoots where we are talking.
                  You might think of me as a hobbit, because I was pretty well known for coming
                  to the 69 Bilbo -Frodo picnic as a Tim Kirk Hobbit with Shoes (from a drawing
                  by Tim). I dated alot of guys in the group: Chris Barzak, Alpajpuri(Paul
                  Novitski) and Chris Mitchell among some.

                  It is good to pick up on old friends. Its been a long long time. I have
                  traveled all over the US, have 2 kids, Brennan 21 married with baby due in
                  April, and Sean , 18 and aspiring writer.

                  Say Hi to anyone you know.

                  Oh, I was mostly San Fernando. Do explain he Paula Sigmon thing.

                  Cheers,
                  Leslie
                • Diane Baker
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 27, 1999
                    Grace E. Funk wrote:

                    > From: gfunk@... (Grace E. Funk)
                    >
                    > To Diane Baker
                    > You wrote "As for Terry Goodkind, he can be very rich, even with generics:
                    > cloaks of sable "thick, black,and soft as sin."
                    > Terry Goodkind did not make up that phrase (even though he may think he
                    > did, I suppose). He is quoting from the poem "Lepanto" by G.K. Chesterton.
                    >
                    > "King Philip's in his closet wiyh the Fleece about his neck,
                    > (Don John of Austria is armed upon the deck)
                    > The walls are hung with velvet that is blacvk and soft aas sin,
                    > And little dwarfs creep out of it and little dwarfs creep in."
                    > Grace E. Funk
                    >
                    > Grace E. Funk R.R. #1, Lumby, B.C. V0E 2G0 Phone (250)547-6333

                    Thanks for the phrases' origins; Chesterton always came up with
                    wonderful phrases. Actually, I was talking about Martin in the quote,
                    though I did refer to Goodkind earlier. He's only a cut above Robert
                    Jordan---not that great.