Re: New Person

  • Pam Wellington Lackey
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 24, 1998
      >also subscribe to MereLewis, which I must say is a fantastic list to
      >belong to. Very intelligent and stimulating posts on that one.
      >
      >Trish Lewis

      Trish: can you post the URL for "MereLewis"? I would like to check it
      out.

      Hi Trish and everyone else. Since this list is so new, I thought I
      might introduce myself and hope that everyone else follows me.
      I am a visual artist, painter, art teacher in the public high school,
      and have been a Christian for many years. I also love to write but get
      little opportunity to do so. CSLewis has been the major influence on
      my walk and life. HIs life and writings have served as an inspiration
      and example. I have recently returned to school as a graduate student
      at Maryland INstitute, College of ARt, in BAltimore, Maryland, studying
      painting. I am currently in my second year of a 4 year program. I am an
      advocate of logical, clear headed thinking. IT is an art form that is
      rapidly disappearing. Language is eroding, post-modernism is rampant
      everywhere, ugliness, informality, cloudy thinking, anti-heroism,
      anti-intellectualism runs the show. I believe Christians, especially
      Christians involved in the arts, literature, etc, are the best people to
      fight the good fight, at least uphold the standards. Nice to be a part
      of this list. I look forward to many lively and challenging
      discussions.
      Pam Wellington Lackey
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 24, 1998
        I've been a member of the Mythopoeic Society for about ten years now and
        am in the Khazad-dum chapter here in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm
        the Bratwoman, married to David Bratman, one of the Council of Stewards.

        By day I'm a mild mannered semiconductor technician, destroying computer
        chips so you don't have to. (I take them apart to look for defects or
        polish them in cross-section and take pretty pictures of them.) By
        night I'm a crusading conductor trying to get my church choir to learn
        their music. (My actual degree is in music. That and a dollar will get
        you a cup of coffee in Silicon Valley.)

        I'm trying to appreciate Charles Williams more. I figure one book a
        decade will do it. I'm sort of lukewarm about Lewis. Some of his stuff
        I like; others, I'm not so wild about. I like Tolkien, but not as much
        as my husband does--but then, who could possibly like Tolkien more than
        my David? I prefer to read current fantasy and non-Inkling stuff.

        Berni Phillips
        "I had to be a bitch--they wouldn't let me be a Jesuit." (from Matt
        Ruff's, _Sewer, Gas, & Electric_)
      • Chip Morris
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 24, 1998
          Hi all,

          Well, I've been involved with Tolkien's work since I was
          a child. I can remember sitting in class while my 4th
          grade teacher read to us the incredible yarn, The
          Hobbit. It was from then on I was hooked.

          I am a part time writer, though to earn money I work as
          a Software Technician and Web site designer. I love
          Tolkien, and all his works from the Sillmarillion, and
          beyond. He has affected my writing to, and I often find
          myself trying to meet the challenge of creating a story
          that is unlike Mr. Tolkien and the other Inklings. I
          also am a big fan of C.S. Lewis, Lloyd Alexander and
          Robert Jordan (of The Wheel of Time and Conan Fame).

          I love discussing Tolkien's work and his works.

          Hope to hear from ya soon. :)

          Chip

          Brain: Are you Pondering What I'm pondering?