Upcoming UNDERSTANDING MIDDLE-EARTH events

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2004
      I realize this is short notice for some of these things, but I have
      been VERY busy the last couple of weeks. Some of the information
      which follows is only relevant to people in the Houston, TX area, but
      I hope some of you can make it.

      Tonight (Monday, January 4) at 6:30 PM CST (Texas Time) I will be
      interviewed by Simon Rose on Chapter One Live. The show is carried
      on ten stations/markets:

      Anchorage, Alaska: KUDO 1080 AM (Also Wasilla, AS; Palmer, AS)
      Berea, KY: WKXO 1500 AM
      Irvine, KY: WIRV 1550 AM
      Richmond, KY: WEKY 1340 AM (Also Winchester, KY)
      Columbia, MO: KFRU 1400 AM (Also Centralia, KY; Harrisburg, KY;
      Ashland,
      KY)
      Jefferson City, KY: KLIK 1240 AM (Also Columbia and Fulton)
      Joplin, KY: KQYX 1450 AM (also Monett, KY; Pittsburg, KS; Miami, OK)
      Everett, PA: WZSK 1040 AM (also Altoona, PA; Johnstown, PA;
      Cumberland,
      MD)
      Lemmon, SD: KBJM 1400 AM (also Keldron, SD; Bison, SD)
      Grafron, WV: WTBZ 1260 AM (also Clarkston, WV; Bridgeport, WV;
      Fairmont,
      WV)

      I don't know if these stations will all broadcast the interview at
      the same time, or if any of them have Internet feeds. A friend of
      mine captured two interviews so far and I've put one on Xenite.Org.
      The other will go up when I get a chance to settle down and catch up
      on Web stuff.

      Then, on Wednesday, January 7, I will be interviewed by Joel Oriend
      on WKPQ 1320 AM at 3:30 PM CST (Texas Time). They are located in
      Hornell, NY.

      Next, on Thursday, January 8, at 11:00 AM, I will tape an interview
      with KILT Radio for their "This Week in Houston" show, which will be
      broadcast on KILT 630 AM at 10:30 PM Saturday (January 10), on KHJZ
      94.7 FM at 5:30 AM Saturday (January 10), and on KILT 100.3 FM at
      5:30 AM Sunday (January 11).

      One of the questions I am going to be asked for this interview will
      concern criticism directed at Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings
      with respect to their influence on children (or something like that).

      The KILT interview will promote my upcoming presentation and signing
      at Strange Land Books, scheduled for Saturday, January 17 at 6:00 PM
      CST (Texas Time). Strangeland is located at 2115 Taft Street,
      Houston, TX 77006. I looked them up on MapQuest and found they are
      just east of Montrose and just north of Westheimer. Taft runs north
      across Westheimer, parallel with Montrose.

      The store's telephone number is 713-522-4414. They are operated by
      the Strange Land Literacy Foundation and their prophets from the
      signing will go to benefit the foundation, whose purpose is explained
      on their Web site (they focus on literacy programs within the church
      and greater Houston community).

      http://www.strangelandbooks.com/

      Then on Saturday, January 24, at 10 AM CST (Texas Time), I'll be
      appearing at the Barnes and Noble store at Town and Country, located
      on the northbound feeder road by the Sam Houston Beltway 8 and just
      south of Interstate 10. They are part of the extensive Town and
      Country complex (which includes far more than the impoverished mall --
      I have been to this store and it is REALLY nice). Their address is
      12850 Memorial Drive, Suite 1600 but they are located just behind the
      Escalante's Mexican Grill (which faces the Beltway).

      Finally (for now), I've got an appearance scheduled for Saturday,
      February 21, at 7:30 PM CST (Texas Time) for the Barnes and Noble at
      1310 Lake Woodlands Dr. in The Woodlands, TX.

      My publicist is working on more events, media appearances. I'll
      probably keep this campaign going through March (since that will mark
      the 50th anniversary of the publication of THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE
      RING).

      As far as the radio interviews go, I don't know if we'll be capturing
      any more of them. And if we do, I don't know if we'll be able to put
      them on the Web.

      For any of you who missed the KSAL interview on January 5, you can
      download it here:

      http://www.xenite.org/faqs/lotr_movie/news_0001/579.html

      That is, so far, the only interview we've got posted on Xenite.Org.
      It lasts about 14-15 minutes.
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2004
        Well, Michael, good luck! Take your vitamins. It sounds exciting and I
        wish I could catch some of it. Maybe that downloading website part will
        work for me.

        Lizzie Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
        AVChrislist @ yahoogroups, an Apple Valley doll hobby list,
        is looking for new members... check us out at
        www.groups.yahoo.com/group/avchrislist
      • Michael Martinez
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2004
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Apgar Triano"
          <lizziewriter@e...> wrote:
          > Well, Michael, good luck! Take your vitamins. It sounds exciting
          and I
          > wish I could catch some of it. Maybe that downloading website part
          will
          > work for me.

          Thanks. As it turns out, the Chapter One Live interview was
          recorded. It will be sent out to their ten affiliate stations at
          some point in time. They have a Web site that I'll check on to see
          when the interview is broadcast.

          http://www.chapteronelive.com/

          I read a chapter from UNDERSTANDING MIDDLE-EARTH (which is part of
          their format). Hope I didn't botch too many names, but this all had
          to be done in one take. The whole session lasts an hour (including
          commercials).

          Simon Rose, the host, asks some very good questions. He clearly read
          the entire book and he had me furiously flipping through pages during
          the commercial breaks to find the sections he was referring to.