Picking another nit

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
      I was annoyed during the fire-beacons scene, dramatic as it was, because - a
      system like that doesn't work unless men are up there all the time, or at
      least every night time, watching.

      They couldn't very well be up for any extended time on peaks as high, barren
      and desolate as the ones PJ shows us.

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • SusanPal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
        In a message dated 1/1/2004 12:39:29 PM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        "I was annoyed during the fire-beacons scene, dramatic as it was, because - a
        system like that doesn't work unless men are up there all the time, or at
        least every night time, watching.

        "They couldn't very well be up for any extended time on peaks as high, barren
        and desolate as the ones PJ shows us."

        Perhaps not for "extended" periods of time, but surely the beacons would be
        manned during times of war. After all, everyone in the film knows that Gondor
        is the next target; at such a time, they'd have their early-warning system
        ready.

        Susan

      • Larry Swain
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
          > In a message dated 1/1/2004 12:39:29 PM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
          > writes:
          >
          > "I was annoyed during the fire-beacons scene, dramatic as it was, because - a
          > system like that doesn't work unless men are up there all the time, or at
          > least every night time, watching.
          >
          > "They couldn't very well be up for any extended time on peaks as high, barren
          > and desolate as the ones PJ shows us."
          >
          > Perhaps not for "extended" periods of time, but surely the beacons would be
          > manned during times of war. After all, everyone in the film knows that Gondor
          > is the next target; at such a time, they'd have their early-warning system
          > ready.

          And at least Jackson took care to point include in some shots of the beacons small huts for the watchers, and while Jackson doesn't show it, the books relate that the beacon system is ancient and that Gondor in its strength had built roads and paths to access them easily enough.

          Larry Swain
          Check out the latest SMS services @ http://www.operamail.com, which allows you to send SMS through your mailbox.

          Powered by Outblaze
        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
            From: <Stolzi@...>

            > I was annoyed during the fire-beacons scene, dramatic as it was, because -
            > system like that doesn't work unless men are up there all the time, or at
            > least every night time, watching.
            >
            > They couldn't very well be up for any extended time on peaks as high,
            barren
            > and desolate as the ones PJ shows us.

            That was my reaction, too. They should have used lower mountains where it
            would be believable that there would be people there all the time.

            Berni