Witch King's steed

  • odzer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2003
      J.R.R. Tolkien in a letter to Rhona Beare - October, 14 1958

      "I did not intend the steed of the Witch-King to be what is now called a
      'pterodactyl', and often is drawn (with rather less shadowy evidence than lies
      behind many monsters of the new and fascinating semi-scientific mythology of the
      'Prehistoric'). But obviously it is pterodactylic and owes much to the new
      mythology, and its description even provides a sort of way in which it could be a
      last survivor of older geologic eras."

      ( courtesy tolkienonline.com)