Hobbit - the word

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2000
      The following appeared on the Word A Day list and may be of interest. The
      etymology for "bytla" is news to me...

      hobbit (HOB-it) noun

      An imaginary creature resembling a diminutive human being, having
      some rabbitlike characteristics, and being naturally peace-loving,
      domestic, and sociable.

      [From pseudo-Old English holbytla, hole-builder (coined by J.R.R. Tolkien) :
      Old English hol, hole + Old English bytla, builder, hammerer (from bytl,
      bietel, mallet.]

      "`I'm 4ft and that's with shoes on,' laughed 21-year-old Southon.
      `I could be just what they're looking for if they're after an elf or
      a hobbit.'"
      Keane Philippa, The height of fame, Sunday Star Times (New Zealand),
      25 Apr 1999.

      This week's theme: coined words.