The_Knight by Gene Wolfe

  • cloudhill
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 25, 2003
      Has anyone had a chance to read Gene Wolfe's The Knight? I treated myself to it for
      Christmas and about 50 pages into it, I am finding it hard to continue. It is cryptic,
      mysterious, and unusual, like many other Wolfe novels, for which I truly enjoy, but for
      some reason this novel is giving me a hard time, making it completly an
      unpleasurable experience. If anyone has read it or reading it, what is your opinions
      so far?

      Dallas Robbins
      cloudhill@...
    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 26, 2003
        In a message dated 12/26/3 1:32:18 AM, Dallas Robins wrote:

        <<Has anyone had a chance to read Gene Wolfe's The Knight? I treated myself
        to it for

        Christmas and about 50 pages into it, I am finding it hard to continue. It
        is cryptic,

        mysterious, and unusual, like many other Wolfe novels, for which I truly
        enjoy, but for

        some reason this novel is giving me a hard time, making it completly an

        unpleasurable experience. If anyone has read it or reading it, what is your
        opinions

        so far?>>

        I'm about to send my review of it to _Mythprint_. I actually found it much
        more straightforward (as far as narrative structure is concerned) than many of
        Wolfe's previous novels, although it has the usual memory gaps, foreshadowings,
        etc. I thoroughly enjoyed both the imaginary-world background (inspired by
        Norse mythology) and the folkloric elements in the story. I look forward to its
        completion in the second volume.
        Alexei