Re: The King, I say the King, has returned

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 24, 2003
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Deutsch Harrigan <lisa@h...>
      wrote:
      > They used Elephants to model the walking for Imperial Walkers. They
      > used Elephants to make the Oliphants. In other words the Walkers
      > walk like the Mumakil, not the other way around.

      Just get a copy of "The Empire Strikes Back" and watch how they take
      out the Imperial Walkers. Then go see "The Return of the King"
      again. You should see what I am referring to (it has nothing to do
      with the way the Mumakil move, much less the walkers).

      Legolas wasn't the only warriors to take out a Mumak. In fact,
      Theoden is a good one to watch.

      Tolkien could not possibly have had any impact on Lucas' action. But
      Lucas clearly had an influence on Peter Jackson's "Return of the
      King".
    • Larry Swain
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 24, 2003
        > Just get a copy of "The Empire Strikes Back" and watch how they take
        > out the Imperial Walkers. Then go see "The Return of the King"
        > again. You should see what I am referring to (it has nothing to do
        > with the way the Mumakil move, much less the walkers).

        Oh, I don't know. In Empire, they trip them, generally. Luke lifts himself up with a winch attached to his suit, opens a hole in the bottom, puts in a bomb. Blooie. Don't recall any tripping and explosions of mumakil in J-RoTK. See below.

        > Legolas wasn't the only warriors to take out a Mumak. In fact,
        > Theoden is a good one to watch.

        He as I recall takes out one of the drivers, entirely logical. Yes, I do recall that happening in the assault on Hoth in Empire too. But I also recall it in Tolkien--in the battle in Ithilien, the driver is hanging on a rope as the mumak careens wildly, taking out men and trees. Jackson simply adapted that scene to the Fields of Pellenor.
        Considering the relative proximity of a number of mumlak, such wild careening would naturally take out the next mumlak or walker, and if both directors are right handed they would naturally direct the action to the right, not the left. QED. I also don't recall Luke or Han Solo or company surfing down the front of a walker.

        > Tolkien could not possibly have had any impact on Lucas' action. But
        > Lucas clearly had an influence on Peter Jackson's "Return of the
        > King".

        Why couldn't he? Tolkien has a scene of a elephant in battle, and he was certainly published before Star Wars came out, there is some possibility of influence there depending on how the director conceives of Tolkien's scene. And I'll grant that there may be some indirect influence there, but I doubt that Jackson sat down and decided to copy Lucas' scene, more likely that both did some checking on how elephants were used in ancient warfare and went from there.

        Larry Swain
        Check out the latest SMS services @ http://www.operamail.com, which allows you to send SMS through your mailbox.

        Powered by Outblaze
      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 24, 2003
          And that battle tactic is older than both of them! Which is why they
          both use it. Trip wires are an ancient technique. Last time I checked no
          one used in LotR used a flying machine, they used various tripping
          techniques, something which was not new when Lucas used it. Again, the
          references are superficial and only because you want to force them. You
          trip a four legged beast at it will look similar. I've seen the same
          thing in films when they snare elephants.

          I have Empire memorized. (I've seen it so many times I've lost count)

          Mythically yours,
          Lisa

          Michael Martinez wrote:

          >--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Deutsch Harrigan <lisa@h...>
          >wrote:
          >

          >>They used Elephants to model the walking for Imperial Walkers. They
          >>used Elephants to make the Oliphants. In other words the Walkers
          >>walk like the Mumakil, not the other way around.
          >>

          >Just get a copy of "The Empire Strikes Back" and watch how they take
          >out the Imperial Walkers. Then go see "The Return of the King"
          >again. You should see what I am referring to (it has nothing to do
          >with the way the Mumakil move, much less the walkers).
          >
          >Legolas wasn't the only warriors to take out a Mumak. In fact,
          >Theoden is a good one to watch.
          >
          >Tolkien could not possibly have had any impact on Lucas' action. But
          >Lucas clearly had an influence on Peter Jackson's "Return of the
          >King".

        • Michael Martinez
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 26, 2003
            [snippage for brevity throughout]

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@o...> wrote:
            > Oh, I don't know. In Empire, they trip them, generally.
            > Luke lifts himself up with a winch attached to his suit,
            > opens a hole in the bottom, puts in a bomb. Blooie.
            > Don't recall any tripping and explosions of mumakil
            > in J-RoTK. See below.

            There aren't any Samurai in "The Magnificent Seven", either.

            > > Legolas wasn't the only warriors to take out a Mumak. In fact,
            > > Theoden is a good one to watch.
            >
            > He as I recall takes out one of the drivers, entirely logical.

            There are several shots with the Mumakil that are evocative of the
            ice battle in "Empire Strikes Back", including the shot with the
            Mumakil attacking Minas Tirith (and all the infantry coming around
            them).

            The Rohirrim circling around the Mumakil is another shot that evokes
            the flyers buzzing the walkers.

            > > Tolkien could not possibly have had any impact on Lucas' action.

            > Why couldn't he?

            Because Tolkien did not describe detailed action sequences in "The
            Battle of the Pelennor Fields".
          • Michael Martinez
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 26, 2003
              wrote:
              > And that battle tactic is older than both of them!

              It would be best to just watch the movies again. But, to each their
              own.

              I certainly wouldn't want to ask anyone who didn't enjoy "The Return
              of the King" to suffer it again too soon just to see a pretty obvious
              homage in its proper context.

              I am surprised, however, to see that people are not wondering about
              Legolas and the Sea. That is, there is nothing of Legolas' longing
              for the Sea in the movie. That was a very poignant moment in the
              book for me. But I suppose that, along with Peter's vanishing Elf
              army, Legolas' sighting of the seagulls is really only a very minor
              issue.

              I am considering starting a franchise for "Legolas Still Lives in
              Middle-earth!" t-shirts, as his departure will obviously now never be
              part of the cinematic canon.
            • Nessime
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 26, 2003
                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@o...> wrote:

                > He as I recall takes out one of the drivers, entirely logical. >

                Actually it was Éomer who cast his spear at the mumakil driver.
                I'm
                still unclear about exactly what happend after that, whether if in
                his fall the driver caused the beast to stumble or what, but the
                mumakil careened into another and the pair fell crashing to the
                ground.

                I saw RotK again Christmas Day, and I was watching carefully because
                in the movies PJ & Co. have nearly made a nonentity of Éomer. All
                of
                his lines from the book have been given to others. One example:

                "Over the field rang his [Éomer's] clear voice calling: 'Death!
                Ride, ride to ruin and the world's ending!'And with that the host
                began to move. But the Rohirrim sang no more. *Death* they cried
                with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great
                tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring
                away southwards..."
                (LotR: RotK: Book V: Chapter VI: "The Battle of the Pelennor Fields")

                PJ even gave away Éomer's rightful place in the charge of the
                Rohirrim:

                "'Éomer, my son! You lead the first éored,' said Théoden;
                'and it
                shall go behind the king's banner in the centre. Elfhelm, lead your
                company to the right when we pass the wall. And Grimbold shall lead
                his towards the left...'"
                (LotR: RotK: Book V: Chapter V: "The Ride of the Rohirrim")

                In the movie Théoden tells Éomer to go to the left (PJ couldn't
                even
                let him be Théoden's "right hand man" for pity's sake- did you
                notice that in the non-book verse celebration back in Edoras, after
                their return from the battle at Helm's Deep, that Eowyn is on the
                king's right and Éomer is standing to his left? It struck me quite
                forcefully). Grimbold is sent to the right and Gamling, who
                shouldn't even be there, is told to follow behind the king's banner.
                Did these people even read the book? How hard would it have been to
                get at least that much right?

                So Éomer never gets named as Théoden's heir, the king's banner
                is
                never passed to him on the field of the Pelennor after Théoden's
                death, he's never hailed as king, and even at Aragorn's cornonation
                he is a bit of a cipher, for there is Eowyn, wearing a circlet on
                her brow, and even Legolas wears a circlet (okay, so he's the son of
                Thranduil, King of Mirkwood - Tolkien never refers to him as
                a "prince"). Éomer, however, wears nothing that would indicate his
                status as Rohan's new king.

                I knew nothing of actor Karl Urban before LotR hit the big screen,
                but IMO it is a credit to him that Éomer doesn't totally disappear
                into the scenery. I do hope that the EE of RotK will rectify a few
                of the omissions, but there too many scenes where Éomer's rightful
                place in the story has been lost irrevocably. I do not believe it
                would have diminished Eowyn's role one whit to have portrayed her
                brother as Tolkien wrote him, yet I would bet this is one of the
                reasons his role was so downplayed in the script.

                ~Nessime
              • Larry Swain
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 27, 2003
                  Michael Martinez wrote:

                  > There aren't any Samurai in "The Magnificent Seven", >either.

                  A. No, but in that particular case there are sufficient similarities in character(s), plot development, themes,
                  etc as to suggest dependence, much less additional information. The "argument" for the relationship between the two movies does not depend on a single scene.
                  B. Your specific argument was to note the way in which the mumakil were taken down--"Just get a copy of "The Empire Strikes Back" and watch how they take out the Imperial Walkers." from message http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mythsoc/message/10815. Thus, I would maintain that the analogy you desire to establish here is a false one, and therefore your argument fallacious.

                  > > > Legolas wasn't the only warriors to take out a Mumak. In fact,
                  > > > Theoden is a good one to watch.
                  > >
                  > > He as I recall takes out one of the drivers, entirely logical.
                  >
                  > There are several shots with the Mumakil that are evocative of the
                  > ice battle in "Empire Strikes Back", including the shot with the
                  > Mumakil attacking Minas Tirith (and all the infantry coming around
                  > them).

                  This is really a different question. The contention you made, quoted above, was that the method of dispatching the mumakil and the walkers was the same, not that the camera angles were similar. I'll deal with both, but it seems like the ground is slippery.

                  Having just watched this afternoon and evening, both films with my visiting brother, a Star Wars buff and appreciator of Tolkien, and we counted six mumakil being taken down.

                  The first is Eomer, who grabs spear, kills the driver, who then dangles on a rope and another spear from over the camera's "shoulder" pins the ear of the mumakil to its shoulder, sending it careening into the second. 2 down.
                  This is similar to the careening mumak in Book IV of LoTR with a driver hanging on to the rope as the animal goes off into the woods destroying everything and everyone in its path.

                  The closest parallels can find to these are a. one walker's driver is shot through the windshield by the big guns on Hoth and b. the first "tripped" walker falls sideways into a second. These are two different events at two different places in the battle. Similarities, yes, but not evidence of Jackson modeling this scene on Lucas.

                  2 of 6 mumakil down. The next two are blurry, at least in terms of which came first. BUt I think it is Merry and Eowyn riding between the legs of one and breaking its knee caps, causing it to fall. That's 3.

                  In Empire, there is an instance of Luke and his wingman flying between the legs of a walker and starting the "tripping" procedure. Similar, yes, the latter based on teh former? Maybe, but it isn't a certain bet.

                  That's 3 of 6. The fourth, which come to think of it may not be a fourth at all, but the third from a different vantage point, is the case of Theoden. He sits astride his horse, watches a mumak fall in front of him and then sees the Lord of the Nazgul coming at him. We don't really see how this mumak falls, which leads me to think it is simply #3 from Theoden's vantage point.

                  I can find nothing that parallels this in Empire.

                  The fifth is Legolas. Legolas climbs up the arrows in the side of the mumak to its hind quarters, proceeds to shoot the archers int eh basket, grab a rope and swing forward, cut the basket supports and then as it falls, allows it to pull him up onto the back of the beast. He then dispatches it with two arrows into the back of its head, and sliding down its trunk as it falls, to land safely in front of Gimli.

                  The closest parallel here is Luke winching himself up to the bottom of the walker, cutting a hole in it, putting in an explosive, detaching and falling none too gracefully to the ground to watch the thing blow up. Again, some similarties in that both charcters use a rope/cable to get up to where they can do damage, but beyond that, no.

                  The sixth mumlak is killed in the background as the army of the dead overtake it and its riders. Again, no parallels here.

                  Thus, at least in terms of how the mumakil are taken out, the similarities are few and superficial and so do not strongly argue in favor of Jackson molding this part of the battle on Empire Strikes Back.

                  Now to the point of camera angles, I won't go into detail. There are some similarities, but I think those similarities can best be explained by the similar situations: an assault of a well-defended position by infantry (where are the cavalry of the Haradrim?) and elephant-based "creatures" used in fighting. How to best show the main characters and the action of the battle? (Interestingly enough, there are multiple aerial shots of the Pelennor Fields, no aerial shots in Empire). The infantry is different and aligned differently as well. So again, similarities, but not dependence.

                  > The Rohirrim circling around the Mumakil is another shot that evokes
                  > the flyers buzzing the walkers.

                  Evokes it for you perhaps, but that certainly was not what I was reminded of when viewing the scene. Rather I was reminded of every ancient movie battle scene in which some party is mounted and the rest are on foot--the "attackers" surround the mounted and seek to either kill the mount or pull the warrior off his mount and even the playing field. The flyers buzzing around the walkers in order to trip them is just the sort of thing needed in such a situation.

                  > > > Tolkien could not possibly have had any impact on Lucas' action.
                  >
                  > > Why couldn't he?
                  >
                  > Because Tolkien did not describe detailed action sequences in "The
                  > Battle of the Pelennor Fields".

                  I'm not suggesting that there was influence there, but there certainly could have been. Think of how the situations are similar---nowhere else in the Star Wars triology do we have an assault on a defended position, and the walkers are known to be based on "elephants"....there are as many superficial similarities here as what you claim there to be between Empire and RoTK. And Tolkien gives enough details of the battle to draw schematics and tactics from. Perhaps we'll just have to agree to differ.

                  Larry Swain

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Check out the latest SMS services @ http://www.operamail.com, which allows you to send SMS through your mailbox.

                  Powered by Outblaze
                • The Yeti !
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 27, 2003
                    It should be remembered that George Lucas & Peter Jackson are
                    actually friends, and during the filming of their recent (sort of)
                    trilogies, they visited each others sets (the latter two Star Wars
                    films are filmed in Queensland, Australia).
                    It is therefore not impossible that PJ deliberately filmed a couple
                    of scenes of the Mumakil charge to be similar to those in The Empire
                    Strikes Back, as a sort of homage to GL & the Star War films.

                    Yeti.

                    http://www.tolkienonline.com/docs/8810.html

                    'Lucas also told me that he and Lord of the Rings director Peter
                    Jackson have become good friends, commiserating with each other in
                    Australia and New Zealand on their shoots about making their two
                    series.

                    "Essentially, Peter is making three three-hour movies out of one
                    book," Lucas said. "And I'm making nine two-hour movies from one
                    book." Of course, Lucas wrote his own book, but the mythology
                    harkens back to Lord of the Rings. "We discuss it a lot because they
                    are similar in nature," said Lucas.'
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 27, 2003
                      At 11:51 PM 12/26/2003 +0000, Nessime wrote:

                      >I knew nothing of actor Karl Urban before LotR hit the big screen,
                      >but IMO it is a credit to him that Éomer doesn't totally disappear
                      >into the scenery.

                      Based on my previous experience with complexly plotted films, I expect that
                      if I didn't know the book I would have no idea, from seeing these films,
                      who the heck Éomer was unless I went back to see it with somebody willing
                      repeatedly to point and say "Him! That guy right there!" That his various
                      appearances were all the same guy, and distinguishable from several other
                      guys, would probably have eluded me.

                      As it is, don't worry, I got him.

                      >there too many scenes where Éomer's rightful
                      >place in the story has been lost irrevocably. I do not believe it
                      >would have diminished Eowyn's role one whit to have portrayed her
                      >brother as Tolkien wrote him, yet I would bet this is one of the
                      >reasons his role was so downplayed in the script.

                      I fear this is true.

                      - David Bratman
                    • Larry Swain
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 28, 2003
                        Tolkien and Lewis were friends too, but that doesn't mean that Voyage of the Dawn Treader is based on The Hobbit or that Farmer Giles of Ham owes something to Perelandra in contrast to That Hideous Strength being influenced by the fiction of Charles Williams (though influenced by and based on are two different things. I understand Michael as suggesting that Jackson's scene is Lucas' scene redone at least in part, not merely influenced by Lucas' scene). It is not sufficient to point to the relationship and say "Ah HA!"

                        On the other hand, we might ask why the mumakil scene is in the picture to begin with, other than as one of my students put it last week, "it was wicked cool". Tolkien mentions mumakil on Pelennor only once, and that is as beasts pulling the towers and the battering ram slowly across the field, not as assault "vehicles" themselves, unlike the apparent use in the episode in Ithilien with Faramir. So their presence in this latter battle scene may owe something to Lucas in a general way. But I don't see that either in terms of how the mumakil are "taken out" nor in terms of camera angles and shot, that Jackson is copying from Empire so much as in the few similarities there are, they are there because of similar subject matter, not because of copying.

                        Larry Swain

                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 28, 2003
                          In a message dated 12/27/2003 6:13:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                          jadeyeti@... writes:

                          > "Essentially, Peter is making three three-hour movies out of one
                          > book," Lucas said. "And I'm making nine two-hour movies from one
                          > book."

                          Say what? Has Lucas suddenly reverted to his original plan to make nine Star
                          Wars films?

                        • Michael Martinez
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 30, 2003
                            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "The Yeti !" <jadeyeti@y...> wrote:
                            > It should be remembered that George Lucas & Peter Jackson are
                            > actually friends, and during the filming of their recent (sort of)
                            > trilogies, they visited each others sets (the latter two Star Wars
                            > films are filmed in Queensland, Australia).
                            > It is therefore not impossible that PJ deliberately filmed a couple
                            > of scenes of the Mumakil charge to be similar to those in The
                            Empire
                            > Strikes Back, as a sort of homage to GL & the Star War films.

                            Peter has included homages to many movies in his trilogy. He's not
                            just singling Lucas out for special notice.
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 31, 2003
                              jadeyeti@... writes:

                              > "Essentially, Peter is making three three-hour movies out of one
                              > book," Lucas said. "And I'm making nine two-hour movies from one
                              > book."

                              I never received a reply to my question. Has Lucas suddenly reverted to his
                              original plan to make nine Star Wars films instead of six?

                            • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 1, 2004
                                I have heard nothing at all about another three. I can only hope they are
                                made after he is good and dead. Whatever talent he once had as a director
                                seems to have been replaced be ego and special effects mongering. I spent
                                my High school years in heavy contemplation of Star Wars, I knew every movie
                                by heart and my friends and I could carry on conversations entirely in
                                quotes from the movies. But after the last two movies I can honesty say the
                                only thing I can look forward to with any enthusiasm is the cartoon made by
                                the guy who does "Samurai Jack."
                                I never received a reply to my question. Has Lucas suddenly reverted to
                                his
                                original plan to make nine Star Wars films instead of six?

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor