Re: Selling Tolkien Memorabilia

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2000
      May I also suggest the Mythopoeic Society Auction? You may not get as much money (use it for the less expense stuff), but you will be helping the Mythopoeic Society. You get 60 percent (we keep 40) and the 40 percent we keep is tax deductible! We do honor minimums, and our auctioneers do their
      best to drive up prices.

      The auctions happen every year at Mythcon which is in August this year.

      If you are interested, please contact me as I am it's organizer.

      But eBay is probably your best bet for getting the largest audience for the really valuable stuff *sigh*. The only other place I can think of that might be appropriate is Amazon.com. They too have a auction section.

      Good Luck.

      Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Treasurer, Mythopoeic Society.

      ecrowe@... wrote:

      > From: ecrowe@...
      >
      > I got a query from a fellow named Ron McKinnon about where to sell a bunch of Tolkien material he's had for a while. I suggested Ebay, since I know some of our collectors look there. If anyone has other ideas, or would like to see what he has, contact him at mckinnon@....

    • Juliet Blosser
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 11, 2000
        Another suggestion for where to sell such things is classifieds2000.com.
        They have regular classified ads and auctions.
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 11, 2000
          Juliet Blosser wrote:

          > From: Juliet Blosser <juliet@...>
          >
          > Another suggestion for where to sell such things is classifieds2000.com.
          > They have regular classified ads and auctions.

          These suggestions are all much finer than my thought, which was to call
          Bruce Leonard or Gary Hunnewell and try to sell it to them. (Hey, where
          are the other members of Tolkien Collectors Anonymous, the new 12-step
          program formed at the last Mythcon?)

          Berni
        • Steve Schaper
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 11, 2000
            At 6:31 PM -0800 1/11/00, Berni Phillips wrote:
            >From: Berni Phillips <bernip@...>
            >
            >Juliet Blosser wrote:
            >>
            >> From: Juliet Blosser <juliet@...>
            >>
            >> Another suggestion for where to sell such things is classifieds2000.com.
            >> They have regular classified ads and auctions.
            >
            >These suggestions are all much finer than my thought, which was to call
            >Bruce Leonard or Gary Hunnewell and try to sell it to them. (Hey, where
            >are the other members of Tolkien Collectors Anonymous, the new 12-step
            >program formed at the last Mythcon?)
            >
            >Berni

            I've seen Gary Hunnewell's collection. I'd be quite happy to help him
            with his recovery ;-)

            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
            sschaper@...