Household Gods

  • Robert and Jane Bigelow
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2000
      Hello, all,

      I've read Household Gods. The good parts--the description of her daily
      life on the fringes of the Roman Empire, the relationships between the
      Roman characters--were very good. I almost didn't get to them, though,
      being so aggravated by the idea that anyone would think that the Romans had
      a more egalitarian culture than ours. Egad. And parts of the ending were
      truly limp. I really hate it when people give away the ending, so I won't
      get specific here, but the authors couldn't solve a major question so just
      said, "Gee, we'll never know" and left it there. (I realize that life's
      like that. We're talking about fiction here, which is under more strict
      constraints.) The authors also don't seem to trust us to figure out their
      messages without lots of help.

      Even so, I'd recommend it for the parts that were well done. Parts of it
      were just plain fun--haven't seen a deus ex machina that I could like in
      quite some time.

      Jane