My review has been posted (and another essay)

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2003
      Actually, it went live yesterday morning, but I was just too tired
      yesterday to tell people about it.

      So, look for Returning to the Ring ( http://www.merp.com/modules.php?
      op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=78&mode=thread&order=1&thold=0 )
      at my MERP.COM topic ( http://www.merp.com/modules.php?
      op=modload&name=News&file=index&catid=&topic=8 ).

      Here is an excerpt:

      Six years ago I read an online rumor that someone was working on
      a "Lord of the Rings" movie. Since then, I've found myself jostling
      for sanity along with hundreds, even thousands of other writers who
      have all been swept up in the LoTR craze. And now here I am again,
      writing the obligatory review.

      Writing is never easy when it's an obligation. When so many people
      expect you to say something, it's almost inevitable that you're going
      to choke. That's only human nature. And expectation has played such a
      large part in the post J.R.R. Tolkien world of Tolkien commentary and
      interpretation that even Peter Jackson's films have been deluged with
      complaints about perceived failures.

      There was a time when people felt lucky to be alive while someone was
      filming a live-action LoTR adaptation. And there was a time when most
      online Tolkien fans reacted negatively to the idea of anyone adapting
      the most popular fiction book of the 20th century to the big screen.
      For that matter, there was a time when the two camps argued
      incessantly over the merits of attempting to adapt the book to film.

      Expectations have abounded through the years. They have encrusted
      Tolkien and LoTR discussions with layers of regret, anger, and
      apprehension. As the release of Peter Jackson's "The Return of the
      King" approached, I increasingly heard more people pile on
      expectations for this movie than for the first two combined. "It's
      GOT to win the Oscar!" "It's got to be better than 'The Two
      Towers'!" "It's got to be more faithful!" And the expectations become
      more refined as you ask about them.

      But they really don't make sense. For example, why should a movie no
      one had seen win an Oscar (for Best Film)? What if it turned out to
      be a really bad movie? Of course, expectations insist that it will be
      a GREAT movie. But that's not the point. The point is, what if it is
      a really bad movie?

      Read the full article here
      http://www.merp.com/modules.php?
      op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=78&mode=thread&order=1&thold=0

      Also, be sure to check out my previous essay, posted a couple of
      weeks ago. That one was called
      Waiting for a king like you ( http://www.merp.com/modules.php?
      op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=76&mode=thread&order=1&thold=0 )
      .