Re: Oh, dear...

  • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 10, 2000
      In a message dated 01/10/2000 6:04:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      bernip@... writes:

      << There is so much more to LOTR than
      just the action bits, and it will not be Tolkien's LOTR if these are all
      sacrificed to cater to the whims of the explosion junkies. >>
      Certes! Much as I like Glamdring, it was not for lack of a good swordsman
      that I moped for days over Gandalf falling into the abyss... and how can they
      capture the magic of Glorfindel, for example? ah, romance and
      characterization.... escape modern movies IMHO.

      Lizzie
    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 10, 2000
        In a message dated 1/10/00 8:07:01 PM Central Standard Time,
        ERATRIANO@... writes:

        > how can they
        > capture the magic of Glorfindel, for example?

        Apparently they're doing it by writing him out, to be replaced by Arwen
        Evenstar. At least, last I heard.

        (Don't have a hizzy, Lizzie!)

        Mary S
      • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 11, 2000
          In a message dated 01/10/2000 11:04:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          Stolzi@... writes:

          << Apparently they're doing it by writing him out, to be replaced by Arwen
          Evenstar. At least, last I heard.

          (Don't have a hizzy, Lizzie!)

          Oh yeah, what's the difference between a woman, Strider's love interest so
          natch she will be a star... and an old school Elf... (he's a full Elf or a
          half Elf? It's been too long)... Okay I'm going to be ill now.

          Lizzie
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 11, 2000
            In a message dated 1/11/00 6:19:04 AM Central Standard Time,
            ERATRIANO@... writes:

            > Oh yeah, what's the difference between a woman, Strider's love interest so
            > natch she will be a star..

            Well, you see, riding down to the Ford to rescue the travelers gives her
            something to DO besides hanging around for centuries or is it decades putting
            stitches into that banner... and I can see the viewpoint of the scripters
            with so many characters to deal with, trying to get some of the less
            necessary ones out of there...

            Speaking of "how many characters do you need," - we usually =love= the
            productions of the Nashville Children's Theatre, but last year they did MOBY
            DICK with exactly four actors,* not even any sailors to stand around in the
            background muttering "rhubarb rhubarb" and no visible whale except a piece of
            whale skeleton on board. It just didn't work.

            *Ahab, Queequeg, Ishmael, and either Starbuck or Stubbs, I forget which

            Mary S