Re: [mythsoc] Jackson apologists

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 16, 2003
      At 07:46 PM 12/9/2003 +0000, Elizabeth R. Milner wrote:

      >Did you miss the part of the Two Towers DVD where the cast talks
      >about how much better Jackson's version of Tolkien is than Tolkien's?
      >
      >Call it arrogance or call it group think, I call it really, really
      >annoying.

      I've noticed, for about a year now, Jackson apologists claiming that
      Jackson has popularized a boring old book that nobody ever liked anyway.
      Jackson himself has never made any such claims, as far as I know: I still
      believe his fault is ignorance, not arrogance. I'm sorry to see his cast
      falling into that trap, but there's no rule that they had to like the book
      or even have read it, and maybe some of them didn't. But I wonder whom you
      are referring to here? (I have no intention of listening to the commentary
      myself.) I recall that both Ian McKellen and Christopher Lee are fans of
      the book, so I hope they're not among them. And I recall reading somewhere
      (probably here) that the actor playing Faramir was so upset when he found
      how his character had been changed that he urged Jackson, in vain, to
      rewrite the script.

      - David Bratman