Re: [mythsoc] Arwen in The Hobbit

    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 16, 2003
      At 10:58 AM 12/10/2003 -0500, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
      >Yes, but the fact that it is _Jackson_, specifically, planning to put
      >Arwen in a film version of _The Hobbit_ is not insignificant, and is
      >precisely what is disturbing. This is not being done in a vacuum, after
      >all: we already know how Jackson has used the character of Arwen in The
      >M*vie, which bodes ill for how he would use her in _The Hobbit_. That,
      >I believe, is the source of Wendell's concern. And mine.

      My concern is Wendell's and Carl's here. The problem is not that Arwen
      might have been in Rivendell when Bilbo and the Dwarves passed through
      (more likely she was in Lorien, but no matter), nor that Aragorn almost
      definitely was there. They'd hardly likely make a special point of meeting
      this company of vagabonds - Rivendell is a big place with lots going on.
      It would still be a small "nifty" to have them make cameo appearances in a
      _Hobbit_ film, and I can't really object to that per se.

      No, the problem is that it would be Jackson doing it, and how he would
      likely be doing it. Comparison: Merry and Pippin were definitely at
      Bilbo's birthday party, but unmentioned in the text there. So it was not
      only a "nifty" but a good piece of film exposition to have them show up in
      the film there - but look at what hamhandedness that scene was written
      with. It came off like a piece of lame fanfiction from a mediocre Tolkien
      crudzine.

      At 11:41 AM 12/10/2003 -0500, SusanPal@... wrote:
      >Agreed. I guess I'd just rather wait until the actual film and get my
      >knickers in a twist about what he DOES do, rather than inventing endless
      >disaster-scenarios about what he MIGHT do.

      Well, you raised the idea. Don't blame us for retching at it. We already
      know what sort of things Jackson DOES do.

      - David Bratman