Pullman

  • Jane Bigelow
    Message 1 of 42 , Dec 15, 2003
      Berni wrote:
      Perhaps Jack wasn't on the list when a bunch of us ranted about Pullman.
      Let's not do that again.

      JB: Yes, please!

      I will just say that I found the books offensive both as a Christian and as
      a reader of good fantasy -- the man got so caught up in his anti-Christian
      message that he totally lost focus in his writing and changed characters
      with no motivation and left far too many plot threads just dangling.

      JB: I'm not at all religious myself, and I found the last book offensive if
      only because it got so predictably depressing.

      Does anyone have anything they'd like to *recommend*? I read _Anvil of the
      World_ recently, and though it got a bit preachy in spots I found it
      interesting. The author has a nicely warped sense of humor.

      Jane
    • Larry Swain
      Message 42 of 42 , Dec 16, 2007

        > Yes, particularly sex - after all, that's the only point when God
        > saw that it was "very good" - after woman was created to be a
        > suitable partner for man. {grin}

        A minor correction here: there are 2 points when God says "very good" in Genesis 1, after the third day and after the sixth. In Genesis 2 when we speak of the specific creation of woman as a partner suitable for the man, there is no such declaration.

        That doesn't affect your point, just a "point of information".

        Larry Swain