Re: Oh, dear...

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 9, 2000
      In a message dated 1/9/00 4:47:43 PM Central Standard Time, lisa@...
      writes:

      > There actually is a lot of action in LoTR. Go read the books if you don't
      > believe
      > me.

      What Lisa said. I was just getting ready to post to that effect. Sure,
      some of us will always prefer reading about it in Professor Tolkien's
      evocative prose; but if you are going to put it on screen, you have to have
      lots of action.
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 10, 2000
        Lisa Deutsch Harrigan wrote:

        > From: Lisa Deutsch Harrigan <lisa@...>
        >
        > Thank God they are doing the stunts safely! What do you think the War of the Ring
        > entails, Tea Parties?
        > There are sword fights, battles with all sorts of baddies, attacks by creppies
        > unknown, Gandolf falls into a chasm, not to mention the big battle in the third
        > book. *sheesh*
        >
        > Yes, from the stunt man's vision, there is all kinds of action in this movie.
        > Just riding a horse requires some "stunt" work.
        >
        > In other words, Don't Panic! This is a motion picture, without motion it is DOA.
        > There actually is a lot of action in LoTR. Go read the books if you don't believe
        > me.
        >
        > Lisa

        Obviously there is a lot of action in LORD OF THE RINGS, the books,
        which I'd be very surprised if any of us had not read. My concern is
        that there be *only* or primarily action in LORD OF THE RINGS, the
        movies. Face it, the motion picture industry emphasizes violence over
        virtue and crudity over character. There is so much more to LOTR than
        just the action bits, and it will not be Tolkien's LOTR if these are all
        sacrificed to cater to the whims of the explosion junkies.

        Berni
      • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 10, 2000
          In a message dated 01/10/2000 6:04:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          bernip@... writes:

          << There is so much more to LOTR than
          just the action bits, and it will not be Tolkien's LOTR if these are all
          sacrificed to cater to the whims of the explosion junkies. >>
          Certes! Much as I like Glamdring, it was not for lack of a good swordsman
          that I moped for days over Gandalf falling into the abyss... and how can they
          capture the magic of Glorfindel, for example? ah, romance and
          characterization.... escape modern movies IMHO.

          Lizzie
        • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 10, 2000
            In a message dated 1/10/00 8:07:01 PM Central Standard Time,
            ERATRIANO@... writes:

            > how can they
            > capture the magic of Glorfindel, for example?

            Apparently they're doing it by writing him out, to be replaced by Arwen
            Evenstar. At least, last I heard.

            (Don't have a hizzy, Lizzie!)

            Mary S
          • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 11, 2000
              In a message dated 01/10/2000 11:04:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              Stolzi@... writes:

              << Apparently they're doing it by writing him out, to be replaced by Arwen
              Evenstar. At least, last I heard.

              (Don't have a hizzy, Lizzie!)

              Oh yeah, what's the difference between a woman, Strider's love interest so
              natch she will be a star... and an old school Elf... (he's a full Elf or a
              half Elf? It's been too long)... Okay I'm going to be ill now.

              Lizzie
            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 11, 2000
                In a message dated 1/11/00 6:19:04 AM Central Standard Time,
                ERATRIANO@... writes:

                > Oh yeah, what's the difference between a woman, Strider's love interest so
                > natch she will be a star..

                Well, you see, riding down to the Ford to rescue the travelers gives her
                something to DO besides hanging around for centuries or is it decades putting
                stitches into that banner... and I can see the viewpoint of the scripters
                with so many characters to deal with, trying to get some of the less
                necessary ones out of there...

                Speaking of "how many characters do you need," - we usually =love= the
                productions of the Nashville Children's Theatre, but last year they did MOBY
                DICK with exactly four actors,* not even any sailors to stand around in the
                background muttering "rhubarb rhubarb" and no visible whale except a piece of
                whale skeleton on board. It just didn't work.

                *Ahab, Queequeg, Ishmael, and either Starbuck or Stubbs, I forget which

                Mary S