Re: [mythsoc] How to Broil he Hobbit

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 12, 2003
      In a message dated 12/11/2003 10:48:24 PM Central Standard Time,
      margdean@... writes:
      I remember reading a stage play version of the Hobbit that had
      Thorin killing Smaug with Orcrist after the elf queen (??!!) gave
      it back to him. I guess they figured that was more manageable
      onstage than a flying dragon.
      I saw that, or something similar, at Nashville Children's Theatre. It was
      very moving, esp when Thorin died afterwards. I assumed they used an Elf Queen
      rather than King to even matters up a bit, and to give a part to one of their
      actresses.

      The Dragon was a great, fearsome, object of pipes and wood and billowing
      bright colors: a Chinese-flag Dragon which really seemed animated, and could and
      did belch smoke! Even without flying, he was impressive.

      The production also had a very, very good Gollum, only, live action being
      what it is, he was much larger than Bilbo instead of about the same.

      Mary and Nicky the Moosemutt