Summer Institute on Tolkien

  • Croft, Janet B
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 12, 2003
      A NEH summer institute for secondary school teachers, if there are any on
      this list:

      From Beowulf to Postmodernism: J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings
      National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Institute for School Teachers
      Texas A&M University-Commerce
      Commerce TX 75429
      July 5 - August 6, 2004

      Texas A&M University-Commerce will host a five-week Summer Institute for
      School Teachers sponsored by the National Endowment for the
      Humanities. The Institute is designed to work as a bridge connecting
      school teachers with university professors and other experts in Tolkien
      studies. " From Beowulf to Postmodernism: J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of
      the Rings" will explore the medieval and modern influences as well as the
      contemporary impact of Tolkien's epic novel.

      Applications to participate in the Institute are welcome from any secondary
      school teacher of English or History. Teachers of other relevant
      humanities subjects who wish to use The Lord of the Rings in their classes
      are invited to apply as well. The thirty teachers selected to participate
      will each receive a stipend of $3250.00 from the N.E.H. which should pay
      for most of their expenses.

      Through exposure to the ideas of some of the most important Tolkien
      scholars, guided research, and both live and electronic group discussion,
      the teachers participating in this Institute will analyze The Lord of the
      Rings and develop ways to use it in their classes to illustrate aspects of
      both history and literature from thee Middle Ages and the nineteenth and
      twentieth centuries.

      For more information about the Institute or instructions on how to apply,
      please contact:

      Dr. Robin Anne Reid
      Department of Literature and Languages
      Texas A&M University-Commerce
      Commerce TX 754219

      Work: (903) 886-5268
      Fax: (903) 886-5980

      Robin_Reid@...

      Or visit the Tolkien Institute web site at:

      http://www.tamu-commerce.edu/Tolkien

      The Lord of the Rings Summer Institute Schedule

      The Life and Works of J.R.R. Tolkien July 5-9

      Medieval Language, Literature, and Culture I July 12-16

      Medieval Language, Literature, and Culture II July 19-23

      Modern Influences on The Lord of the Rings I July 26-30

      Modern Influences on The Lord of the Rings II August 2-6
    • Jack
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 12, 2003
      • Carl F. Hostetter
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 12, 2003

          The reviewer, Liz Milner, writes:

          > Garth refers to some of Tolkien’s drawings as indicators of his state
          > of mind before the war. The drawings are not reproduced in the book.
          > Since many readers will not be fortunate enough to have access to
          > Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Skull’s book, J.R.R. Tolkien, Artist &
          > Illustrator, this omission is a bit frustrating.

          I've been trying to work out how anyone that is "fortunate enough to
          have access" to John Garth's book could fail to be "fortunate enough to
          have access" to Hammond and Scull's _JRRT:A&I_. Both are in print, both
          are equally available in libraries. If you can "access" the one, you
          can _certainly_ "access" the other.

          Weird.
        • Jack
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 12, 2003
            >I've been trying to work out how anyone that is "fortunate enough to
            >have access" to John Garth's book could fail to be "fortunate enough to
            >have access" to Hammond and Scull's _JRRT:A&I_. Both are in print, both
            >are equally available in libraries. If you can "access" the one, you
            >can _certainly_ "access" the other.
            >
            >Weird.

            Good point. I'll pass that along to the Book Editor! Thanks kindly!
          • Elizabeth R. Milner
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 12, 2003
              Not so weird. Carl. Greenman review is intended for an audience of
              general readers who are interested in Folklore and Mythology without
              being experts. It is not unlikely that someone with an enquiring
              mind might pick up Garth's book without having read intensively on
              Tolkien or suspecting the existence of Garth and Scull's excellent
              book. Also, when I was a student, I didn't have the money to buy
              beautiful books like Hammond and Skull's. The Fairfax County Public
              Library doesn't have it and I suspect that it is absent from the
              catalogs of many other local public library systems.

              -Liz
              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Carl F. Hostetter <Aelfwine@e...>
              wrote:

              > On Dec 12, 2003, at 3:09 PM, Jack wrote:
              >
              > > http://greenmanreview.com/book/book_garth_tolkien.html
              >
              > The reviewer, Liz Milner, writes:
              >
              > > Garth refers to some of Tolkien's drawings as indicators of his
              state
              > > of mind before the war. The drawings are not reproduced in the
              book.
              > > Since many readers will not be fortunate enough to have access to
              > > Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Skull's book, J.R.R. Tolkien,
              Artist &
              > > Illustrator, this omission is a bit frustrating.
              >
              > I've been trying to work out how anyone that is "fortunate enough
              > have access" to John Garth's book could fail to be "fortunate
              enough to
              > have access" to Hammond and Scull's _JRRT:A&I_. Both are in print,
              both
              > are equally available in libraries. If you can "access" the one,
              you
              > can _certainly_ "access" the other.
              >
              > Weird.
            • Carl F. Hostetter
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 12, 2003
                On Dec 12, 2003, at 3:56 PM, Elizabeth R. Milner wrote:

                > Not so weird. Carl. Greenman review is intended for an audience of
                > general readers who are interested in Folklore and Mythology without
                > being experts. It is not unlikely that someone with an enquiring
                > mind might pick up Garth's book without having read intensively on
                > Tolkien or suspecting the existence of Garth and Scull's excellent
                > book. Also, when I was a student, I didn't have the money to buy
                > beautiful books like Hammond and Skull's. The Fairfax County Public
                > Library doesn't have it and I suspect that it is absent from the
                > catalogs of many other local public library systems.
                >
                > -Liz

                But you're missing half the equation. If the Fairfax County Public
                Library doesn't have Hammond and Scull, I greatly doubt that they'll
                have Garth either. So if you're relying on the Fairfax County Public
                Library in order to be "fortunate enough to have access" to books, how
                did you come to have "access" to Garth?

                I maintain that if you have "access" to Garth, you will have "access"
                to Hammond and Scull, even if you have to visit a local bookstore and
                browse the book there.
              • Croft, Janet B
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 12, 2003
                  Sure! Feel free to post it on any forum you know where there is an interest
                  in Tolkien and there might be secondary school teachers (US only though -
                  not open to other countries).

                  Janet

                  _____

                  > A NEH summer institute for secondary school teachers, if there are
                  any on
                  > this list:
                  >
                  > From Beowulf to Postmodernism: J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the
                  Rings
                  > National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Institute for School
                  Teachers
                  > Texas A&M University-Commerce
                  > Commerce TX 75429
                  > July 5 - August 6, 2004
                  >
                  > Texas A&M University-Commerce will host a five-week Summer
                  Institute for
                  > School Teachers sponsored by the National Endowment for the
                  > Humanities. The Institute is designed to work as a bridge
                  connecting
                  > school teachers with university professors and other experts in
                  Tolkien
                  > studies. " From Beowulf to Postmodernism: J.R.R. Tolkien's The
                  Lord of
                  > the Rings" will explore the medieval and modern influences as well
                  as the
                  > contemporary impact of Tolkien's epic novel.
                  >
                  > Applications to participate in the Institute are welcome from any
                  secondary
                  > school teacher of English or History. Teachers of other relevant
                  > humanities subjects who wish to use The Lord of the Rings in their
                  classes
                  > are invited to apply as well. The thirty teachers selected to
                  participate
                  > will each receive a stipend of $3250.00 from the N.E.H. which
                  should pay
                  > for most of their expenses.
                  >
                  > Through exposure to the ideas of some of the most important Tolkien
                  > scholars, guided research, and both live and electronic group
                  discussion,
                  > the teachers participating in this Institute will analyze The Lord
                  of the
                  > Rings and develop ways to use it in their classes to illustrate
                  aspects of
                  > both history and literature from thee Middle Ages and the
                  nineteenth and
                  > twentieth centuries.
                  >
                  > For more information about the Institute or instructions on how to
                  apply,
                  > please contact:
                  >
                  > Dr. Robin Anne Reid
                  > Department of Literature and Languages
                  > Texas A&M University-Commerce
                  > Commerce TX 754219
                  >
                  > Work: (903) 886-5268
                  > Fax: (903) 886-5980
                  >
                  > Robin_Reid@t...
                  >
                  > Or visit the Tolkien Institute web site at:
                  >
                  > http://www.tamu-commerce.edu/Tolkien
                  <http://www.tamu-commerce.edu/Tolkien>

                  > The Lord of the Rings Summer Institute Schedule
                  >
                  > The Life and Works of J.R.R. Tolkien July 5-9
                  >
                  > Medieval Language, Literature, and Culture I July 12-16
                  >
                  > Medieval Language, Literature, and Culture II July 19-23
                  >
                  > Modern Influences on The Lord of the Rings I July 26-30
                  >
                  > Modern Influences on The Lord of the Rings II August 2-6

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12ce1b0nl/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroup
                  web/S=1705020227:HM/EXP=1071350266/A=1853618/R=0/*http:/www.netflix.com/Defa
                  ult?mqso=60178338&partid=4116730> click here

                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroupmai
                  l/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=571581068>

                  <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                • herenistarion
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 12, 2003
> [...]

                    nineteenth and
                    > twentieth centuries.
                    >
                    > For more information about the Institute or instructions on how to
                    apply,
                    > please contact:
                    >
                    > Dr. Robin Anne Reid
                    > Department of Literature and Languages
                    > Texas A&M University-Commerce
                    > Commerce TX 754219
                    >
                    > Work: (903) 886-5268
                    > Fax: (903) 886-5980
                    >
                    > Robin_Reid@t...
                    >
                    > Or visit the Tolkien Institute web site at:
                    >
                    > http://www.tamu-commerce.edu/Tolkien
                    >

                    > The Lord of the Rings Summer Institute Schedule
                    >
                    > The Life and Works of J.R.R. Tolkien July 5-9
                    >
                    > Medieval Language, Literature, and Culture I July 12-16
                    >
                    > Medieval Language, Literature, and Culture II July 19-23
                    >
                    > Modern Influences on The Lord of the Rings I July 26-30
                    >
                    > Modern Influences on The Lord of the Rings II August 2-6
                  • Wayne G. Hammond
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 12, 2003
                      Carl wrote (thanks, Carl!):

                      >> Garth refers to some of Tolkien�s drawings as indicators of his state
                      >> of mind before the war. The drawings are not reproduced in the book.
                      >> Since many readers will not be fortunate enough to have access to
                      >> Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Skull�s book, J.R.R. Tolkien, Artist &
                      >> Illustrator, this omission is a bit frustrating.
                      >
                      >I've been trying to work out how anyone that is "fortunate enough to
                      >have access" to John Garth's book could fail to be "fortunate enough to
                      >have access" to Hammond and Scull's _JRRT:A&I_. Both are in print, both
                      >are equally available in libraries. If you can "access" the one, you
                      >can _certainly_ "access" the other.

                      Available in libraries, yes, indeed many libraries, and still available in
                      some bookstores, but in fact _Artist & Illustrator_ is presently either out
                      of print or out of stock in both the U.S. and the U.K. However, at least in
                      the U.K., it's due to come back into print early next year -- unusually,
                      reverting back to hardcover from trade paperback. We hope that it will be
                      republished in the U.S. as well, and better promoted, once it's out from
                      under the shadow of film tie-ins and the like.

                      Wayne Hammond
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 13, 2003
                        In a message dated 12/12/2003 6:49:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        jbcroft@... writes:

                        > Sure! Feel free to post it on any forum you know where there is an interest
                        > in Tolkien and there might be secondary school teachers (US only though -
                        > not open to other countries).

                        I did a double take on reading this. My first thought was "U.S. only? The
                        only cases that I know of where something can be sent to U.S. E-mail addresses
                        but can't be sent to foreign addresses are certain sensitive but unclassified
                        computer programs that aren't to be released outside of the U.S. How could a
                        flyer for a Tolkien conference be considered that important to national
                        security?"

                        Then I released that what you meant is that since the conference is being
                        sponsored by the N.E.H., they will only pay for U.S. citizens to attend. O.K., I
                        understand now. Sorry, I was thinking in the wrong universe of discourse
                        there.

                      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 15, 2003
                          http://greenmanreview.com/book/book_garth_tolkien.html

                          Thanks, Jack. I hadn't really thought about it in detail before, and I
                          wouldn't use this argument as a greater one than others, about what made
                          Tolkien's work great (in fact, I'd not attempt that essay at all), but
                          there are certainly some interesting observations there. The review alone
                          is worth a reading, whether or not you are interested in reading the book
                          itself.

                          Lizzie Apgar Triano
                          lizziewriter@...
                          amor vincit omnia
                        • Jack
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 15, 2003
                            >Thanks, Jack. I hadn't really thought about it in detail before, and I
                            >wouldn't use this argument as a greater one than others, about what made
                            >Tolkien's work great (in fact, I'd not attempt that essay at all), but
                            >there are certainly some interesting observations there. The review alone
                            >is worth a reading, whether or not you are interested in reading the book
                            >itself.

                            I agree. The book is, how to say it politely, a dense read. But covering a
                            mere four years of
                            a life of someone like JRRT would result in denseness, wouldn't it?

                          • Michael Martinez
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 15, 2003
                              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G. Hammond"
                              <Wayne.G.Hammond@w...> wrote:
                              > Available in libraries, yes, indeed many libraries, and still
                              > available in some bookstores, but in fact _Artist & Illustrator_
                              > is presently either out of print or out of stock in both the U.S.
                              > and the U.K. However, at least in the U.K., it's due to come back
                              > into print early next year -- unusually, reverting back to
                              > hardcover from trade paperback. We hope that it will be republished
                              > in the U.S. as well, and better promoted, once it's out from
                              > under the shadow of film tie-ins and the like.

                              If it's any consolation to you at all, I do plug ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR
                              in UNDERSTANDING MIDDLE-EARTH. And it was one of my sources for
                              PARMA ENDORION (credited in Chapter 13 of the eBook, which has now
                              surpassed 500,000 downloads).

                              I tell people to look for your book at every opportunity. It has
                              simply been one of the finest sources for the study of Tolkien's
                              Middle-earth ever. I hold three books in the highest esteem in that
                              area:

                              J.R.R. TOLKIEN: ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR
                              THE ANNOTATED HOBBIT
                              THE LETTERS OF J.R.R. TOLKIEN

                              I could not have written half as much as I have about Tolkien and
                              Middle-earth without these three books.
                            • lizmilner@mindspring.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 16, 2003
                                Thank you. I appreciate your kind words.

                                I hope you'll visit the Greenman Review website and browse. We have
                                several in-depth Tolkien reviews. We also have wonderful and wide-
                                ranging reviews on topics that range from Mythopoeic fiction to
                                folklore and folk music.

                                Happy Holidays,

                                Liz Milner
                                (Who regrets to report that "Artist and Illustrator" is not in the
                                Arlington, VA or Fairfax public library collections and the DC Public
                                Library appears to have lost its only copy).

                                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Apgar Triano"
                                <lizziewriter@e...> wrote:
                                > http://greenmanreview.com/book/book_garth_tolkien.html
                                >
                                > Thanks, Jack. I hadn't really thought about it in detail before,
                                and I
                                > wouldn't use this argument as a greater one than others, about what
                                made
                                > Tolkien's work great (in fact, I'd not attempt that essay at all),
                                but
                                > there are certainly some interesting observations there. The
                                review alone
                                > is worth a reading, whether or not you are interested in reading
                                the book
                                > itself.
                                >
                                > Lizzie Apgar Triano
                                > lizziewriter@e...
                                > amor vincit omnia
                              • Croft, Janet B
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 16, 2003
                                  jbcroft@... writes:

                                  > Sure! Feel free to post it on any forum you know where there is an
                                  interest
                                  > in Tolkien and there might be secondary school teachers (US only though -
                                  > not open to other countries).

                                  I did a double take on reading this. My first thought was "U.S. only? The
                                  only cases that I know of where something can be sent to U.S. E-mail
                                  addresses
                                  but can't be sent to foreign addresses are certain sensitive but
                                  unclassified
                                  computer programs that aren't to be released outside of the U.S. How could
                                  flyer for a Tolkien conference be considered that important to national
                                  security?"

                                  Then I released that what you meant is that since the conference is being
                                  sponsored by the N.E.H., they will only pay for U.S. citizens to attend.
                                  O.K., I
                                  understand now. Sorry, I was thinking in the wrong universe of discourse
                                  there.

                                  Wendell Wagner

                                  Yes, that’s right – the NEH institutes are open only to teachers in US
                                  schools (though I believe teachers US schools overseas are eligible as
                                  well.) Should have made it clearer, I guess.

                                  Janet

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c6e6vfk/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroup
                                  web/S=1705020227:HM/EXP=1071412313/A=1524963/R=0/*http:/hits.411web.com/cgi-
                                  bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674?=egroupweb&pos=HM>

                                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupmai
                                  l/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=213723293>

                                  <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 16, 2003
                                    I've recently returned from a long trip and found a lot of interesting
                                    messages that I'd like to reply to, if they're not considered obsolete by now.

                                    First I'd like to compliment Liz Milner on her Green Man review of John
                                    Garth's book. Liz, you make Garth's arguments more clearly than he does.
                                    I found Garth's prose not journalistically clear at all, but rather
                                    clotted, though it greatly improves as the book goes on. And if he
                                    underplays the stupidity of the commanders, at least he vividly conveys the
                                    horrors experienced by the actual troops, and integrates the battles into
                                    the larger strategy well.

                                    More in later posts.

                                    - David Bratman
                                  • herenistarion
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 19, 2003
                                      Janet,
                                      We got the news up prior to leaving for GOTF
                                      http://www.herenistarion.org/news/suminst04.html