Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 1427

  • Edward Carmien
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2003
      > "So weird that it's beyond parody" wasn't referring to the mere idea of Arwen
      > being at Rivendell at the time of _The Hobbit_. It was referring to my
      > speculation that Jackson would include the idea of "And maybe Arwen and the
      > young
      > Aragorn can meet while Bilbo is at Rivendell. It would be like Queen Padme
      > and
      > Anakin Skywalker meeting in _The Phantom Menace_: 'Hey, I know that you find
      > older women kinda gross right now, but in ten years or so, when you reach
      > sexual maturity, I suspect that the two of us are going to get it on.'" I
      > wasn't
      > weirded out by the mere idea of Arwen being in Rivendell as I was by the
      > thought that maybe Jackson will decide that it would be neat to have an adult
      > Arwen
      > meet a child Aragorn in Rivendell and will decide to throw in a few grotesque
      > double entendres about what will happen to them a few years later. At this
      > point I have so little faith in Jackson's taste that I don't know what sort of
      > distortion of the text he's capable of.
      >
      > Wendell Wagner
      I was amused enough by this idea to actually check some dates in the ole'
      appendices, and much to my surprise I see that Aragorn is indeed about ten
      years old, and living at Rivendell, when Bilbo visits the first time. Never
      put those facts together in my head before. Knowing that Aragorn had a
      storied career (worth several action movies I warrant! Hint, hint) long
      before LOTR takes place, I had guessed off the top of my head he might
      actually have been an adult during Bilbo's visit.

      To add to the amusement, I'll suggest that if we're worried about what
      Jackson might do to the whole Arwen/Aragorn thing in The Hobbit, what we
      should _really_ be concerned about is Jackson rewinding time on Arwen,
      making her a ten-year old elf _lass_ at the time of Bilbo's visit. Talk
      about opportunity for sugary messes! :) (And wouldn't a pint-sized hobbit be
      prime "romantic triangle" material in that mess? Oh, the possibilities!)

      Of course it's all idle speculation and whatnot. For amusement only,

      ejc
      --
      Edward Carmien, Ph.D.
      Assistant Professor of English