Cassie Claire, and Arwen in The Hobbit

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2003
      In a message dated 12/9/2003 7:25:42 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      lizmilner@... writes:
      She is also the source of fan speak such as:

      "Sam will kill him if he tries anything."

      "Still the prettiest" and, of course, "Pervy Hobbit Fancier."
      Not to mention, "Still not King." :-)

      Okay, gang, I've got a question. I know this may sound like blasphemy, but .
      . . .

      In The Hobbit, the hobbits go to Rivendell and see Elrond, yes? Tolkien
      probably hadn't invented Arwen at that point -- he didn't even fix on her name
      until quite late in the composition of LotR, iirc -- but according to the later
      chronology established for Middle Earth, wouldn't she have been there then? I
      know she spent time in Lothlorien visiting grandma, and presumably that's how
      we can explain her absence in the Hobbit (and perhaps Tolkien put in the
      Lothlorien visits to explain her absence in the earlier book), but Jackson's
      viewers, if they see Rivendell, would expect to see Arwen too.

      Therefore I'm not yet ready to say that her presence in Jackson's Hobbit will
      necessarily be ridiculous, unless he has her slaying Smaug. If she's just
      pouring tea in Rivendell, I think it will be fine.

      Susan