Re: Faramir and the Ring

  • pq
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2003

      > One of the constant themes in LOTR is the test of the Ring: Boromir failed it
      > and Faramir passed it. How could the contrast between them not be important
      > to the story?
      > Steve Gaddis

      Yeah, truly! The way I saw it, Jackson et al. saw that
      Towers would run long, too long. So they decided to delay
      some stuff and put it in King instead. Unfortunately,
      putting Shelob in King robs Towers of its climax!

      So what to do - fabricate a crisis that can stand in as a
      (rather weak) climax for Towers. This is why they had
      Faramir decide to take the Ring, for very good (to him)
      reasons (thereby changing his character completely, and
      undermining the upcoming conflict between Faramir and
      Denethor) and then decide NOT to take the Ring, for reasons
      that, well, why? It doesn't make any sense to me, even
      watching the extended DVD version. The only palpable reason
      *might* be that Faramir is impressed by Frodo's bravery in
      withstanding the Nazgul call atop the Osgiliath tower. But
      that in itself is a huge problem, since Frodo reveals to the
      Nazgul "Look! Here's that ring you've been looking for! It's
      right here in Osgiliath!" - and after that the whole story
      structure falls apart; IF that had happened in the "real
      life" of the book, then the Enemy would have drawn back all
      his forces from Gondor and piled up Nazgul, Orcs and all
      right outside his gates and Osgiliath! And he wouldn't have
      cared a fig for Aragorn (who he believes might be holding
      the Ring, in the book) or Gandalf or any men, until after he
      had won back his precious...

      To me, this is the only tripping-stone the moviemakers
      committed, that breaks the deal for me. I will abide by Liv
      Tyler's star power and trying to boost "femme appeal" and
      all that, and getting Cate Blanchett into Towers (for all of
      30 seconds) in order to be able to include her in the
      credits, etc. I'll live with that, since it doesn't wreck
      the sense in the storyline.

      But this whole deal with Faramir substantially impairs the
      story, and weakens what we'll see in King.

      steve