Oh, dear...

  • Mary Kay Kare
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 8, 2000
      Taken from www.scifi.com. Sigh.

      Plenty Of Action In Rings Movies

      The Lord of the Rings trilogy of movies, based on
      J.R.R. Tolkien's
      famous novels of the same name, will be jam-packed
      with action,
      according to the films' chief stunt man. The films
      will have "fight
      sequences, falls, burns, horse stunts and battles,"
      said Bruce Brown,
      the stunt coordinator for The Lord of the Rings, who
      spoke with
      Onfilm magazine from the New Zealand set.

      "We're trying to capture something that's not been seen
      before, and
      adapting the body language into fighting styles in the
      lead-up to the
      shoot," said Brown, whose interview was reported on
      TheOneRing.net
      Web site. "There's some falls where the guys get shot
      with arrows off a
      cliff into rapids; there are guys scaling massive
      ladders up castle walls,
      and the ladders are being pulled back as the invaders
      are shot off them
      by arrows."

      The action will be tailored to the trilogy's unique
      characters. "Some are
      creepy and cockroach-like; some are quite smooth and
      dainty--flowing
      gracefully--and some are just
      crash-bash-nothing-stops-them killing
      machines," Brown said. And there will be explosions.
      "The wizard
      Saruman creates a primitive form of gunpowder," Brown
      said. "There is
      a battle scene where castle walls get blown up."
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 8, 2000
        > From: Mary Kay Kare <kare@...>
        >
        > Taken from www.scifi.com. Sigh.

        > The Lord of the Rings trilogy of movies, based on
        > J.R.R. Tolkien's
        > famous novels of the same name, will be jam-packed
        > with action,
        > according to the films' chief stunt man. The films
        > will have "fight
        > sequences, falls, burns, horse stunts and battles,"
        > said Bruce Brown. "There's some falls where the guys get shot
        > with arrows off a
        > cliff into rapids; there are guys scaling massive
        > ladders up castle walls,
        > and the ladders are being pulled back as the invaders
        > are shot off them
        > by arrows."
        > And there will be explosions.
        > "The wizard
        > Saruman creates a primitive form of gunpowder," Brown
        > said. "There is
        > a battle scene where castle walls get blown up."

        Oh, goody, she said sarcastically. Maybe we can Arnold Schwartzenegger
        to do a cameo! I guess the road that goes ever on gets blown up in this
        version.

        Berni
        Excuse me, what are you doing down there?--\/
      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 9, 2000
          Thank God they are doing the stunts safely! What do you think the War of the Ring
          entails, Tea Parties?
          There are sword fights, battles with all sorts of baddies, attacks by creppies
          unknown, Gandolf falls into a chasm, not to mention the big battle in the third
          book. *sheesh*

          Yes, from the stunt man's vision, there is all kinds of action in this movie.
          Just riding a horse requires some "stunt" work.

          In other words, Don't Panic! This is a motion picture, without motion it is DOA.
          There actually is a lot of action in LoTR. Go read the books if you don't believe
          me.

          Lisa
        • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 9, 2000
            In a message dated 1/9/00 4:47:43 PM Central Standard Time, lisa@...
            writes:

            > There actually is a lot of action in LoTR. Go read the books if you don't
            > believe
            > me.

            What Lisa said. I was just getting ready to post to that effect. Sure,
            some of us will always prefer reading about it in Professor Tolkien's
            evocative prose; but if you are going to put it on screen, you have to have
            lots of action.
          • Berni Phillips
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 10, 2000
              Lisa Deutsch Harrigan wrote:

              > From: Lisa Deutsch Harrigan <lisa@...>
              >
              > Thank God they are doing the stunts safely! What do you think the War of the Ring
              > entails, Tea Parties?
              > There are sword fights, battles with all sorts of baddies, attacks by creppies
              > unknown, Gandolf falls into a chasm, not to mention the big battle in the third
              > book. *sheesh*
              >
              > Yes, from the stunt man's vision, there is all kinds of action in this movie.
              > Just riding a horse requires some "stunt" work.
              >
              > In other words, Don't Panic! This is a motion picture, without motion it is DOA.
              > There actually is a lot of action in LoTR. Go read the books if you don't believe
              > me.
              >
              > Lisa

              Obviously there is a lot of action in LORD OF THE RINGS, the books,
              which I'd be very surprised if any of us had not read. My concern is
              that there be *only* or primarily action in LORD OF THE RINGS, the
              movies. Face it, the motion picture industry emphasizes violence over
              virtue and crudity over character. There is so much more to LOTR than
              just the action bits, and it will not be Tolkien's LOTR if these are all
              sacrificed to cater to the whims of the explosion junkies.

              Berni
            • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 10, 2000
                In a message dated 01/10/2000 6:04:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                bernip@... writes:

                << There is so much more to LOTR than
                just the action bits, and it will not be Tolkien's LOTR if these are all
                sacrificed to cater to the whims of the explosion junkies. >>
                Certes! Much as I like Glamdring, it was not for lack of a good swordsman
                that I moped for days over Gandalf falling into the abyss... and how can they
                capture the magic of Glorfindel, for example? ah, romance and
                characterization.... escape modern movies IMHO.

                Lizzie
              • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 10, 2000
                  In a message dated 1/10/00 8:07:01 PM Central Standard Time,
                  ERATRIANO@... writes:

                  > how can they
                  > capture the magic of Glorfindel, for example?

                  Apparently they're doing it by writing him out, to be replaced by Arwen
                  Evenstar. At least, last I heard.

                  (Don't have a hizzy, Lizzie!)

                  Mary S
                • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 11, 2000
                    In a message dated 01/10/2000 11:04:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    Stolzi@... writes:

                    << Apparently they're doing it by writing him out, to be replaced by Arwen
                    Evenstar. At least, last I heard.

                    (Don't have a hizzy, Lizzie!)

                    Oh yeah, what's the difference between a woman, Strider's love interest so
                    natch she will be a star... and an old school Elf... (he's a full Elf or a
                    half Elf? It's been too long)... Okay I'm going to be ill now.

                    Lizzie
                  • Stolzi@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 11, 2000
                      In a message dated 1/11/00 6:19:04 AM Central Standard Time,
                      ERATRIANO@... writes:

                      > Oh yeah, what's the difference between a woman, Strider's love interest so
                      > natch she will be a star..

                      Well, you see, riding down to the Ford to rescue the travelers gives her
                      something to DO besides hanging around for centuries or is it decades putting
                      stitches into that banner... and I can see the viewpoint of the scripters
                      with so many characters to deal with, trying to get some of the less
                      necessary ones out of there...

                      Speaking of "how many characters do you need," - we usually =love= the
                      productions of the Nashville Children's Theatre, but last year they did MOBY
                      DICK with exactly four actors,* not even any sailors to stand around in the
                      background muttering "rhubarb rhubarb" and no visible whale except a piece of
                      whale skeleton on board. It just didn't work.

                      *Ahab, Queequeg, Ishmael, and either Starbuck or Stubbs, I forget which

                      Mary S