Re: [mythsoc] Kalevala etc.

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2003
      Lizzie -

      The $7 CD is just Kullervo (a work that's about 70 minutes long, so it just
      fits on one CD). The box set is Kullervo together with Sibelius's seven
      symphonies (works for orchestra without voices). They're great symphonies,
      some of the finest of the last century, and have in purely musical form
      some of that same cold northern air that's such a feature of Tolkien's work
      - the finale of the Fifth, with its mighty horn call, in particular always
      gives me a thrill. And these are good performances at a bargain price.
      But whether you'd want them depends on how interested you are in classical
      music.

      Rautavaara is rather more difficult than Sibelius, who himself is a bit
      austere (though he has his great tunes and other hummable parts).
      Rautavaara is often classed with the Eastern European mystics - you ask if
      his work sounds like monster-movie music, and I'd say, "Would you believe
      New Age monster-movie music?"

      A description of a work as "pretty tonal" I'd translate for the layman like
      this: "You know the kind of modern music that sounds like random bleeps and
      whispers in the dark? Or the kind that sounds like people moving furniture
      around? Well, NOT like either of those. Any other bets are off, though."

      Both Rautavaara's "Myth of Sampo" and the single-disk edition of Sibelius's
      "Kullervo" have sample clips online at Amazon, so if your computer can
      handle that you can listen to them for yourself. And there's some spoken
      Finnish on the first Rautavaara clip. It does sound rather like Quenya, no
      surprise there.

      - David Bratman
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2003
        Both Rautavaara's "Myth of Sampo" and the single-disk edition of Sibelius's
        "Kullervo" have sample clips online at Amazon, so if your computer can
        handle that you can listen to them for yourself. And there's some spoken
        Finnish on the first Rautavaara clip. It does sound rather like Quenya, no
        surprise there. >>

        Thanks. I haven't heard a lot of Quenya spoken, and I'd be hard put to
        separate the sounds of foreign accents from native speakers, so I'll have
        to take your word on that one. In any case, I made it back to amazon and
        found both selections, but cannot find where I click to listen to the
        clips. Advice advice?

        Lizzie Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 16, 2003
          If you go to the pages for each individual album, you'll find a section
          labeled "Listen to Samples". It's under that.

          - David Bratman