Kalevala etc.

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2003
      OK, David, I need some help. I went to amazon.com and using Kullervo,
      Sibelius and Panula in the classical search boxes, I got a $30 boxed set
      and a $7 CD. Which are you recommending? Or neither?

      I will also be looking up the Sampo one, but I guess I will need more time.

      Lizzie Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2003
        Lizzie -

        The $7 CD is just Kullervo (a work that's about 70 minutes long, so it just
        fits on one CD). The box set is Kullervo together with Sibelius's seven
        symphonies (works for orchestra without voices). They're great symphonies,
        some of the finest of the last century, and have in purely musical form
        some of that same cold northern air that's such a feature of Tolkien's work
        - the finale of the Fifth, with its mighty horn call, in particular always
        gives me a thrill. And these are good performances at a bargain price.
        But whether you'd want them depends on how interested you are in classical
        music.

        Rautavaara is rather more difficult than Sibelius, who himself is a bit
        austere (though he has his great tunes and other hummable parts).
        Rautavaara is often classed with the Eastern European mystics - you ask if
        his work sounds like monster-movie music, and I'd say, "Would you believe
        New Age monster-movie music?"

        A description of a work as "pretty tonal" I'd translate for the layman like
        this: "You know the kind of modern music that sounds like random bleeps and
        whispers in the dark? Or the kind that sounds like people moving furniture
        around? Well, NOT like either of those. Any other bets are off, though."

        Both Rautavaara's "Myth of Sampo" and the single-disk edition of Sibelius's
        "Kullervo" have sample clips online at Amazon, so if your computer can
        handle that you can listen to them for yourself. And there's some spoken
        Finnish on the first Rautavaara clip. It does sound rather like Quenya, no
        surprise there.

        - David Bratman
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2003
          Both Rautavaara's "Myth of Sampo" and the single-disk edition of Sibelius's
          "Kullervo" have sample clips online at Amazon, so if your computer can
          handle that you can listen to them for yourself. And there's some spoken
          Finnish on the first Rautavaara clip. It does sound rather like Quenya, no
          surprise there. >>

          Thanks. I haven't heard a lot of Quenya spoken, and I'd be hard put to
          separate the sounds of foreign accents from native speakers, so I'll have
          to take your word on that one. In any case, I made it back to amazon and
          found both selections, but cannot find where I click to listen to the
          clips. Advice advice?

          Lizzie Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 16, 2003
            If you go to the pages for each individual album, you'll find a section
            labeled "Listen to Samples". It's under that.

            - David Bratman