Re: [mythsoc] Article in _Salon_ about Tolkien and Lewis

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
      At 02:27 AM 12/3/2003 , Wendell Wagner wrote:
      >There's an article in the online magazine _Salon_ (www.salon.com) about
      >Tolkien and Lewis by someone named Steven Hart.

      It's glib, and seriously underplays the role of Christianity in all this
      (e.g. not mentioning it in connection with the Space Trilogy, and
      dismissing Lewis's apologetics); but the factual errors are minor, and
      generally it's a pretty good article.

      - David Bratman
    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
        Why doesn't it surprise me that *Salon* would seriously underplay the role
        of Christianity in CSL's writings? That's as natural as breathing! ---djb

        At 02:27 AM 12/3/2003 , Wendell Wagner wrote:
        >There's an article in the online magazine _Salon_ (www.salon.com) about
        >Tolkien and Lewis by someone named Steven Hart.

        It's glib, and seriously underplays the role of Christianity in all this
        (e.g. not mentioning it in connection with the Space Trilogy, and
        dismissing Lewis's apologetics); but the factual errors are minor, and
        generally it's a pretty good article.

        - David Bratman

        http://mail2web.com/ .
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
          At 07:06 AM 12/3/2003 , dianejoy@... wrote:
          >Why doesn't it surprise me that *Salon* would seriously underplay the role
          >of Christianity in CSL's writings? That's as natural as breathing! ---djb

          Don't be silly, Diane. They could have not mentioned it at all, or buried
          it - they did neither. They could have not written the article at all.
          Please don't try to co-opt me into an argument against the secular media.

          - David Bratman
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
            >the factual errors are minor

            Such as giving Lewis' character, Elwin Ransom, the first name of "John."
            That one startled me!

            Diamond Proudbrook

          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
              Such as giving Lewis' character, Elwin Ransom, the first name of "John."
              That one startled me! >>

              Yeah, if you're gonna make a mistake like that, at least call him "Jack"
              because after all "Jack" can be short for anything...

              Lizzie Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia