Article in _Salon_ about Tolkien and Lewis and Tolkien Stamps

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
      There's an article in the online magazine _Salon_ (www.salon.com) about
      Tolkien and Lewis by someone named Steven Hart. You'll either have to subscribe to
      it or watch a short advertisement to be able to read it. _Salon_ has been
      consistently the only mainstream literary magazine that takes Tolkien seriously.

      There's going to be a set of 10 stamps in the U.K. next year honoring the
      50th anniversary of the publication of _The Lord of the Rings_. The stamps will
      have Tolkien's art work on them. There will be the usual first-day covers,
      which will be postmarked from Sarehole Mill.

    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
        At 02:27 AM 12/3/2003 , Wendell Wagner wrote:
        >There's an article in the online magazine _Salon_ (www.salon.com) about
        >Tolkien and Lewis by someone named Steven Hart.

        It's glib, and seriously underplays the role of Christianity in all this
        (e.g. not mentioning it in connection with the Space Trilogy, and
        dismissing Lewis's apologetics); but the factual errors are minor, and
        generally it's a pretty good article.

        - David Bratman
      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
          Why doesn't it surprise me that *Salon* would seriously underplay the role
          of Christianity in CSL's writings? That's as natural as breathing! ---djb

          At 02:27 AM 12/3/2003 , Wendell Wagner wrote:
          >There's an article in the online magazine _Salon_ (www.salon.com) about
          >Tolkien and Lewis by someone named Steven Hart.

          It's glib, and seriously underplays the role of Christianity in all this
          (e.g. not mentioning it in connection with the Space Trilogy, and
          dismissing Lewis's apologetics); but the factual errors are minor, and
          generally it's a pretty good article.

          - David Bratman

          http://mail2web.com/ .
        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
            At 07:06 AM 12/3/2003 , dianejoy@... wrote:
            >Why doesn't it surprise me that *Salon* would seriously underplay the role
            >of Christianity in CSL's writings? That's as natural as breathing! ---djb

            Don't be silly, Diane. They could have not mentioned it at all, or buried
            it - they did neither. They could have not written the article at all.
            Please don't try to co-opt me into an argument against the secular media.

            - David Bratman
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
              >the factual errors are minor

              Such as giving Lewis' character, Elwin Ransom, the first name of "John."
              That one startled me!

              Diamond Proudbrook

            • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
                Such as giving Lewis' character, Elwin Ransom, the first name of "John."
                That one startled me! >>

                Yeah, if you're gonna make a mistake like that, at least call him "Jack"
                because after all "Jack" can be short for anything...

                Lizzie Apgar Triano
                lizziewriter@...
                amor vincit omnia