Re: [mythsoc] Re: book collector

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2003
      At 07:49 AM 12/2/2003 , Elizabeth R. Milner wrote:
      >John Garth's "Tolkien and the Great War" is really, really good. It
      >would make a great present for anyone who is interested in the
      >evolution of Tolkien's mythology. Publication date, unfortunately is
      >December 30.

      I've read Garth's book in page proofs. My review will be in Mythprint
      soon. Briefly, I found it well researched and extremely interesting, but
      rather hard to read and meandering. And while many of his points are very
      good, others I found highly questionable. In short a mixed effort.

      My current reading is _Following Gandalf: Epic Battles and Moral Victory in
      LOTR_ by Matthew T. Dickerson (Brazos Press). This one is actually out.
      And despite the title it's not another religious homily, but a lit-crit
      study of LOTR's attitudes towards war and victory. Alas, Dickerson is a
      very bad writer in terms of prose, but his points are excellent. I've only
      read about half the book so far, but I'm impressed with Dickerson's close
      analysis of exactly how Tolkien describes war (tersely, without gore, and
      from a distance), and how vastly this differs from Jackson's approach.
      Yes, Dickerson contrasts the two to good effect. He's not as rough on
      Jackson as I would be with his evidence, but perhaps he is trying to follow
      Tolkien's moral instruction to show mercy even to Gollum.

      - David Bratman
    • Jack
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2003
        >John Garth's "Tolkien and the Great War" is really, really good. It
        >would make a great present for anyone who is interested in the
        >evolution of Tolkien's mythology. Publication date, unfortunately is
        >December 30.

        http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0007119526/

        Amazon says it was published on the 20th of October. Certainly it was
        published already
        as the copy I have here is the shipping edition.