Re: [mythsoc] Men, Halflings, and Hero-Worship

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003
      At 11:59 AM 12/1/2003 , David Lenander wrote:

      >I always thought that MZB's essay was one of the best I'd read on the
      >subject, though of course it was early in the history of JRRT crit. and
      >I haven't gone back to reread it in many years. I hope, somehow, that
      >they manage to include the longer version that was published separately
      >as a chapbook (by ??TK Graphics??) instead of the abbreviated version in
      >Isaacs/Zimbaldo's _Tolkien & the Critics_.

      That would be nice, but I would guess not, as Isaacs and Zimbardo are the
      editors of the new anthology and not only abridged the essay for their
      earlier book, but edited it to its considerable improvement as well. Yes,
      the chapbook was from T-K Graphics, though the full essay had been first
      privately printed years earlier, originally in 1962.

      - David Bratman