Re: [mythsoc] TTT - Extended DVD (Rohirric Dirges)

  • MGscifi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2003
      I remember at one point discussing Rohirric with a friend who was fluent in the reading of Anglo-saxon/Old English and was informed that Rohirric is basically A-S with slightly different spacings in the words but phonetically identical. (Like writing "Igo tothe fair" as opposed to "I go to the fair". I'm not a linguist by any means, so I may have misunderstood what I was told, but I think that was the general gist. If that is indeed the case, then it would be easy to compose a funeral dirge for Theodred in the style of the old Anglo-Saxon culture that Rohan was so heavily based on.

      ~ Emily
    • SusanPal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2003
        From watching the extras on the TTTX DVD, I believe the lyrics actually are
        Old English. At one point they play a clip of the dirge with OE subtitles and
        a Modern English translation. My OE is far too rusty for me to be able to
        tell if the lines are from Beowulf or not, though.

        Susan