Re: work v drudgery

  • Steve Schaper
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2000
      At 10:14 PM -0700 1/3/00, Robert and Jane Bigelow wrote:
      >From: Robert and Jane Bigelow <bigelow@...>
      >
      >Paul,
      >
      >I didn't mean to equate work and drudgery. In fact, I meant to distinguish
      >between them. We have a strange and destructive belief in this society,
      >perhaps as a relic of those rock-ribbed (and sometimes rock-headed)Puritan
      >settlers, that if it's fun it can't *really* be worthwhile. It certainly
      >can't be work if you're having fun, right? said she with a sarcastic grimace.

      That isn't far w/regards the early puritans, including the settlers.
      They were a university movement and knew how to have a good time. The
      latter puritans can be a different matter.

      >Work degenerates into drudgery, imho, when there's nothing keeping you at
      >whatever it is *except* sheer economic necessity, threats of violence, or
      >fear of admitting that you've changed your mind.

      Yep. And one of the problems brought about by the 'dark satanic
      mills' of Saruman's reign, urr, the Industrial Revolution ;-)

      >Write on! And may you have many more flowers than thistles, unless of
      >course you're trying to attract goldfinches.

      ;-)

      >Jane

      >Get great offers on top-notch products that match your interests!
      >Sign up for eLerts at:

      ======================
      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
      sschaper@...
      ======================
    • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2000
        In a message dated 01/05/2000 10:11:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        sschaper@... writes:

        << The
        latter puritans can be a different matter. >>
        Yeah, like my dad's family when he was growing up, i think.....

        lizzie
      • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2000
          sschaper@... writes:

          << Yep. And one of the problems brought about by the 'dark satanic
          mills' of Saruman's reign, urr, the Industrial Revolution ;-) >>
          Hup handy bit of trivia-dropping there, Steve. Was that the original
          application? Bet it was... makes sense now that I think about it, too.

          Lizzie