book collector

  • Matthew Williams
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003
      Hi:

      It's been a long time since I have received Hammond & Scull's (or is that Mulder and Skully) book collector newsletter, I suppose because they are working hard on their book. What date was the last issue anyone here has received? And when the heck does their book come out?

      Just curious. Christmas is here and I was looking for some inspiration.

      Matt

    • Elizabeth R. Milner
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2003
        John Garth's "Tolkien and the Great War" is really, really good. It
        would make a great present for anyone who is interested in the
        evolution of Tolkien's mythology. Publication date, unfortunately is
        December 30.

        -Liz

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Williams" <williamsmr@c...>
        wrote:
        > Hi:
        >
        > It's been a long time since I have received Hammond & Scull's (or
        is that Mulder and Skully) book collector newsletter, I suppose
        because they are working hard on their book. What date was the last
        issue anyone here has received? And when the heck does their book
        come out?

        > Just curious. Christmas is here and I was looking for some
        inspiration.

        > Matt

      • Croft, Janet B
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2003
          I believe it’s already available in England, if you want to pay the extra
          Amazon.com.uk shipping. It is quite good – lots of new biographical
          material.

          Janet

          _____

          wrote:
          > Hi:
          >
          > It's been a long time since I have received Hammond & Scull's (or
          is that Mulder and Skully) book collector newsletter, I suppose
          because they are working hard on their book. What date was the last
          issue anyone here has received? And when the heck does their book
          come out?

          > Just curious. Christmas is here and I was looking for some
          inspiration.

          > Matt

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12ck6modc/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroup
          web/S=1705020227:HM/EXP=1070466549/A=1524963/R=0/*http:/hits.411web.com/cgi-
          bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674?=egroupweb&pos=HM>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupmai
          l/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=844698031>

          <http://www.mythsoc.org>

        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2003
            At 07:49 AM 12/2/2003 , Elizabeth R. Milner wrote:
            >John Garth's "Tolkien and the Great War" is really, really good. It
            >would make a great present for anyone who is interested in the
            >evolution of Tolkien's mythology. Publication date, unfortunately is
            >December 30.

            I've read Garth's book in page proofs. My review will be in Mythprint
            soon. Briefly, I found it well researched and extremely interesting, but
            rather hard to read and meandering. And while many of his points are very
            good, others I found highly questionable. In short a mixed effort.

            My current reading is _Following Gandalf: Epic Battles and Moral Victory in
            LOTR_ by Matthew T. Dickerson (Brazos Press). This one is actually out.
            And despite the title it's not another religious homily, but a lit-crit
            study of LOTR's attitudes towards war and victory. Alas, Dickerson is a
            very bad writer in terms of prose, but his points are excellent. I've only
            read about half the book so far, but I'm impressed with Dickerson's close
            analysis of exactly how Tolkien describes war (tersely, without gore, and
            from a distance), and how vastly this differs from Jackson's approach.
            Yes, Dickerson contrasts the two to good effect. He's not as rough on
            Jackson as I would be with his evidence, but perhaps he is trying to follow
            Tolkien's moral instruction to show mercy even to Gollum.

            - David Bratman
          • Jack
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2003
              >John Garth's "Tolkien and the Great War" is really, really good. It
              >would make a great present for anyone who is interested in the
              >evolution of Tolkien's mythology. Publication date, unfortunately is
              >December 30.

              http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0007119526/

              Amazon says it was published on the 20th of October. Certainly it was
              published already
              as the copy I have here is the shipping edition.