Re: [mythsoc] Men, Halflings, and Hero-Worship

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003

      >I always thought that MZB's essay was one of the best I'd read on the
      >subject, though of course it was early in the history of JRRT crit. and
      >I haven't gone back to reread it in many years. I hope, somehow, that
      >they manage to include the longer version that was published separately
      >as a chapbook (by ??TK Graphics??) instead of the abbreviated version in
      >Isaacs/Zimbaldo's _Tolkien & the Critics_.

      You can find copies of the original chapbook on abe.com. Reasonably priced
      too.

      NR -- Chasing Shakespheares
      NR -- THe Daughter of Time
      NP -- Breton bagpipe music

    • Jack
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
        If you're looking for Scottish and/or Celtic music in general, I can help out.

      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003
          At 11:59 AM 12/1/2003 , David Lenander wrote:

          >I always thought that MZB's essay was one of the best I'd read on the
          >subject, though of course it was early in the history of JRRT crit. and
          >I haven't gone back to reread it in many years. I hope, somehow, that
          >they manage to include the longer version that was published separately
          >as a chapbook (by ??TK Graphics??) instead of the abbreviated version in
          >Isaacs/Zimbaldo's _Tolkien & the Critics_.

          That would be nice, but I would guess not, as Isaacs and Zimbardo are the
          editors of the new anthology and not only abridged the essay for their
          earlier book, but edited it to its considerable improvement as well. Yes,
          the chapbook was from T-K Graphics, though the full essay had been first
          privately printed years earlier, originally in 1962.

          - David Bratman