Men, Halflings, and Hero-Worship

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
      I always thought that MZB's essay was one of the best I'd read on the
      subject, though of course it was early in the history of JRRT crit. and
      I haven't gone back to reread it in many years. I hope, somehow, that
      they manage to include the longer version that was published separately
      as a chapbook (by ??TK Graphics??) instead of the abbreviated version in
      Isaacs/Zimbaldo's _Tolkien & the Critics_.

      mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:Message: 3

      Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 08:20:30 -0600
      From: Joan Marie Verba <verba001@...>
      Subject: MZB's Essay on Tolkien

      Forwarded from another list:

      > It looks as if MZB´s long essay on Tolkien and THE LORD OF THE
      RINGS (" Men,

      --

      David Lenander,

      Phone: work: (612) 626-3375 fax: (612) 626-2454 home: (651) 292-8887;
      (651) 697-1807

      e-mail: d-lena@... web-page:
      http://umn.edu/~d-lena/OnceUponATime.html
    • Jack
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003

        >I always thought that MZB's essay was one of the best I'd read on the
        >subject, though of course it was early in the history of JRRT crit. and
        >I haven't gone back to reread it in many years. I hope, somehow, that
        >they manage to include the longer version that was published separately
        >as a chapbook (by ??TK Graphics??) instead of the abbreviated version in
        >Isaacs/Zimbaldo's _Tolkien & the Critics_.

        You can find copies of the original chapbook on abe.com. Reasonably priced
        too.

        NR -- Chasing Shakespheares
        NR -- THe Daughter of Time
        NP -- Breton bagpipe music

      • Jack
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
          If you're looking for Scottish and/or Celtic music in general, I can help out.

        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003
            At 11:59 AM 12/1/2003 , David Lenander wrote:

            >I always thought that MZB's essay was one of the best I'd read on the
            >subject, though of course it was early in the history of JRRT crit. and
            >I haven't gone back to reread it in many years. I hope, somehow, that
            >they manage to include the longer version that was published separately
            >as a chapbook (by ??TK Graphics??) instead of the abbreviated version in
            >Isaacs/Zimbaldo's _Tolkien & the Critics_.

            That would be nice, but I would guess not, as Isaacs and Zimbardo are the
            editors of the new anthology and not only abridged the essay for their
            earlier book, but edited it to its considerable improvement as well. Yes,
            the chapbook was from T-K Graphics, though the full essay had been first
            privately printed years earlier, originally in 1962.

            - David Bratman