Re: [mythsoc] Heaney's Beowulf

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
      This includes many research aids, and best of all, a side-by-side BEOWULF
      with both the original Old English and a literal translation. This way one
      can
      appreciate what the Beowulf author actually said, not just what Heaney or
      another translator makes him say. >>

      But how often were words chosen as much for sound as for meaning? The side
      by side version is cool though.

      In printed versions, I actually liked Howell D. Chickering's Dual Language
      Edition better than Heaney. >>

      I will have to see what versions we have. I have a largish pb with a helm
      on the cover (college) and I think in HS we read a small pb edition but I
      suspect my opinions of them would have been colored as much by the
      teacher/professor's personality and presentation of the subject, as by the
      subject material itself.

      Lizzie Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia