RE: [mythsoc] Heaney's Beowulf

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 28, 2003
      I haven't read it--yet, but I would like to, and I understand that the
      >BBC recorded it. Does anyone know where such a recording can be
      >obtained

      greenmanreview.com/beowulf.read.by.heaney.htm >>

      Ah, and from the sound of this review, the audio reading in this case is a
      better experience than reading the piece oneself. Two hours of Beowulf...
      wow... thanks.

      Lizzie Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • Jack
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
        >Ah, and from the sound of this review, the audio reading in this case is a
        >better experience than reading the piece oneself. Two hours of Beowulf...
        >wow... thanks.

        It is definately a better experience as Seamus is a wonderful reader. My
        problem with Beowulf
        asa reading experience is that it's an oral tale, no ta written tale. And I
        feel that it definately
        suffers from feeling 'flat' when I read it. Seamus gives it back its oral
        nature,

      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
          I was given a wonderful URL by Dr Ted Sherman, BEOWULF ON STEORARUME:

          www.heorot.dk

          This includes many research aids, and best of all, a side-by-side BEOWULF
          with both the original Old English and a literal translation. This way one can
          appreciate what the Beowulf author actually said, not just what Heaney or
          another translator makes him say.

          In printed versions, I actually liked Howell D. Chickering's Dual Language
          Edition better than Heaney.

          Diamond Proudbrook

        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
            This includes many research aids, and best of all, a side-by-side BEOWULF
            with both the original Old English and a literal translation. This way one
            can
            appreciate what the Beowulf author actually said, not just what Heaney or
            another translator makes him say. >>

            But how often were words chosen as much for sound as for meaning? The side
            by side version is cool though.

            In printed versions, I actually liked Howell D. Chickering's Dual Language
            Edition better than Heaney. >>

            I will have to see what versions we have. I have a largish pb with a helm
            on the cover (college) and I think in HS we read a small pb edition but I
            suspect my opinions of them would have been colored as much by the
            teacher/professor's personality and presentation of the subject, as by the
            subject material itself.

            Lizzie Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia