Heaney's Beowulf

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 28, 2003
      Any thoughts on what Professor Tolkien would have thought of Seamus
      Heaney's Beowulf?

      I got it for Christmas a couple of years ago and still mean to read it, but
      I wouldn't mind going in with some context.

      thanks,

      Lizzie Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • Mari Dole
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 28, 2003
        I haven't read it--yet, but I would like to, and I understand that the
        BBC recorded it. Does anyone know where such a recording can be
        obtained?

        Mari

        Any thoughts on what Professor Tolkien would have thought of Seamus
        Heaney's Beowulf?

        I got it for Christmas a couple of years ago and still mean to read it,
        but I wouldn't mind going in with some context.

        thanks,

        Lizzie Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Jack
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 28, 2003
          >I haven't read it--yet, but I would like to, and I understand that the
          >BBC recorded it. Does anyone know where such a recording can be
          >obtained

          greenmanreview.com/beowulf.read.by.heaney.htm

        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 28, 2003
            I haven't read it--yet, but I would like to, and I understand that the
            >BBC recorded it. Does anyone know where such a recording can be
            >obtained

            greenmanreview.com/beowulf.read.by.heaney.htm >>

            Ah, and from the sound of this review, the audio reading in this case is a
            better experience than reading the piece oneself. Two hours of Beowulf...
            wow... thanks.

            Lizzie Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
          • Jack
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
              >Ah, and from the sound of this review, the audio reading in this case is a
              >better experience than reading the piece oneself. Two hours of Beowulf...
              >wow... thanks.

              It is definately a better experience as Seamus is a wonderful reader. My
              problem with Beowulf
              asa reading experience is that it's an oral tale, no ta written tale. And I
              feel that it definately
              suffers from feeling 'flat' when I read it. Seamus gives it back its oral
              nature,

            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
                I was given a wonderful URL by Dr Ted Sherman, BEOWULF ON STEORARUME:

                www.heorot.dk

                This includes many research aids, and best of all, a side-by-side BEOWULF
                with both the original Old English and a literal translation. This way one can
                appreciate what the Beowulf author actually said, not just what Heaney or
                another translator makes him say.

                In printed versions, I actually liked Howell D. Chickering's Dual Language
                Edition better than Heaney.

                Diamond Proudbrook

              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
                  This includes many research aids, and best of all, a side-by-side BEOWULF
                  with both the original Old English and a literal translation. This way one
                  can
                  appreciate what the Beowulf author actually said, not just what Heaney or
                  another translator makes him say. >>

                  But how often were words chosen as much for sound as for meaning? The side
                  by side version is cool though.

                  In printed versions, I actually liked Howell D. Chickering's Dual Language
                  Edition better than Heaney. >>

                  I will have to see what versions we have. I have a largish pb with a helm
                  on the cover (college) and I think in HS we read a small pb edition but I
                  suspect my opinions of them would have been colored as much by the
                  teacher/professor's personality and presentation of the subject, as by the
                  subject material itself.

                  Lizzie Apgar Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia