Re: Re: RE: [mythsoc] Kazantzakis fans any here?

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 26, 2003
      In a message dated 11/26/3 6:38:26 PM, Lizzie wrote:

      <<You frighten me, Alexei. NK's stuff is long to begin with. I am not as
      familiar with the original Odyssey as I might be, and I haven't heard of
      this particular book. Have you read it? What might one say about it?

      It's a very long verse epic; whether English-speakers like it or not depends
      on how they react to Kimon Friar's translation: some readers really respond to
      the imagery and the passion of the narrative, while others feel the
      translator's mannerisms get in the way. The story is a sequel to Homer's Odyssey:
      Ulysses is restless in Ithaca and wants to go traveling again (this theme isn't
      new: it was already being elaborated in the Middle Ages). With a group of
      well-individualised companions (each of whom represents a particular temperament and
      response to life) he sets off for the farthest reaches of the world, having
      many colourful adventures on the way -- episodes that challenge and refine his
      personal philosophy. Since suspense isn't exactly the point of the story, I
      suppose it doesn't spoil anything to reveal that, having lost all his companions,
      he winds up dying on an iceberg in Antarctica.
      It's a pretty unique work in 20th-century literature -- as extreme in its
      pursuit of an individual vision as _The Lord of the Rings_ is, in its very
      different way. Many readers don't have the patience to get through it; but many
      of those who do enjoy the experience.
      Alexei
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 26, 2003
        Thank you, Alexei. I didn't realize it was actually verse, even. I should
        like to find at least a snippet to see if I should put it on my reading
        list. One of these days I will get to the library and burn up their loan
        request pile! :-)

        I Googled "Kazantzakis Odyssey text" and came up with some interesting hits
        (give it a try folks if you are interested in NK) but at first glance
        nothing that looked like it would have an excerpt of text. I can look more
        later but thought I would ask if anyone has any shortcut ideas.

        On another subject, having had more time to read Shippey's Road, I am
        finding that I was more interested in the first half than the second, so I
        may only have to reread the first half (to take notes) once I am done.
        That would be nice, as we all know how finite reading time is.

        Lizzie Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 27, 2003
          In a message dated 11/26/2003 4:21:02 PM Central Standard Time,
          lizziewriter@... writes:

          > I can look more
          >later but thought I would ask if anyone has any shortcut ideas.

          If the book is available at Amazon, they sometimes have "sample pages."

          Diamond Proudbrook

        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 28, 2003
            If the book is available at Amazon, they sometimes have "sample pages."

            Yes. No. I looked there first. Could happen eventually. Maybe I should
            take another try at Greco first.

            I read that NK did his novel writing after the age of 60.

            Lizzie Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia