introductions

  • Jennifer S. Stevens
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2000
      Having sent off a real, official post, I suppose that I had better
      properly introduce myself. Salutations!

      I am Jennifer Stevens. I pretty much grew up on C.S. Lewis (my father has
      nearly everything Lewis wrote that was published). I discovered Tolkien
      around the age of 12 and was thrilled to find out that he and Lewis had
      been friends. I also wrote an undergrad thesis on Tolkien's narrative, but
      I'm afraid it turned out rather dull :) Oh, and I managed to go to the
      Tolkien Centuary Conference at Oxford some years back (thanks to parental
      generousity). It was all very amazing, and I still have my banquet
      invitation with the special limited edition postoid on the envelope.

      I've read some Charles Williams, but never quite grasped his books (maybe
      next year..). And Dorothy Sayers, who is wonderful. My mom is a high
      school librarian, so I've read a lot of YA fantasy too (one cool thing
      about having a librarian mom is that she'd go to conferences and bring
      home SIGNED copies of books :).

      Partly because of Lewis/Tolkien et al, I did a BA and MA in English lit.
      Unfortunately, unlike them, I disovered that I did not enjoy teaching. Or
      at least, that is, teaching freshman writing classes. I hope to someday be
      mature enough to, however :) Currently, I am finishing a degree in library
      science, with the general idea of going into reference work in academic or
      public libraries. I also have the general idea of working more at literary
      criticism, but find it much harder to work at outside the classroom.

      I have all too many "free time" activities, including reading, rubber
      stamps and mail art, online MUD area writing, tripping over the books in
      my apartment, and (hah), "real" writing. Assuming I can get to work at it.

      I was raised in the Evangelical Covenant Church, but for the past several
      years, have had very large doubts (largely due to some classes in biblical
      criticism that I took in college, only this really isn't the place to get
      into theological arguments - those interested can email privately). I am
      still very interested in theology and church history, and currently attend
      the local Unitarian-Universalist Church on a very lackadasical basis. This
      last paragraph isn't meant to upset or cause off-topic threads, but since
      many folks here seem to have strong religious feelings and perspectives
      on varoius topics, I thought I should at least let you all know where I
      come from.

      Jen Stevens
    • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2000
        Hello Jen, and welcome. Sounds like you're having an interesting life, and
        maybe you're on the under-30 side of life? (I'm guessing, due to your
        admittance of hobbies, it's that or no kids ? ggg).

        I'm pretty new here myself, and not much into deep thought lately (lack of
        sleep, yammering little ones LOL) but it's nice to be prodded at by listening
        to the other folks....

        I like the benefits you described, of the books & the conference attending.
        My folks have been good to me too, when they could.

        Lizzie
      • Jennifer S. Stevens
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2000
          On Tue, 4 Jan 2000 ERATRIANO@... wrote:

          > From: ERATRIANO@...
          >
          > Hello Jen, and welcome. Sounds like you're having an interesting life, and
          > maybe you're on the under-30 side of life? (I'm guessing, due to your
          > admittance of hobbies, it's that or no kids ? ggg).

          Both. At least one will change before very long; haven't decided on the
          kid question yet..

          > I'm pretty new here myself, and not much into deep thought lately (lack of
          > sleep, yammering little ones LOL) but it's nice to be prodded at by listening
          > to the other folks....

          Yeah, I've mostly been listening myself. Makes me want to go find that new
          Peter Beagle book. Haven't read any of his since "A Find and Quiet Place."

          > I like the benefits you described, of the books & the conference attending.
          > My folks have been good to me too, when they could.

          Mine are very generous. Although being an only child probably helps.

          Jen
        • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6, 2000
            In a message dated 01/04/2000 1:51:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            jstevens@... writes:

            << At least one will change before very long; h >>
            Well, happy birthday, then...

            Lizzie