work v drudgery

  • Robert and Jane Bigelow
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2000
      Paul,

      I didn't mean to equate work and drudgery. In fact, I meant to distinguish
      between them. We have a strange and destructive belief in this society,
      perhaps as a relic of those rock-ribbed (and sometimes rock-headed)Puritan
      settlers, that if it's fun it can't *really* be worthwhile. It certainly
      can't be work if you're having fun, right? said she with a sarcastic grimace.

      Work degenerates into drudgery, imho, when there's nothing keeping you at
      whatever it is *except* sheer economic necessity, threats of violence, or
      fear of admitting that you've changed your mind.

      Write on! And may you have many more flowers than thistles, unless of
      course you're trying to attract goldfinches.

      Jane
    • Steve Schaper
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2000
        At 10:14 PM -0700 1/3/00, Robert and Jane Bigelow wrote:
        >From: Robert and Jane Bigelow <bigelow@...>
        >
        >Paul,
        >
        >I didn't mean to equate work and drudgery. In fact, I meant to distinguish
        >between them. We have a strange and destructive belief in this society,
        >perhaps as a relic of those rock-ribbed (and sometimes rock-headed)Puritan
        >settlers, that if it's fun it can't *really* be worthwhile. It certainly
        >can't be work if you're having fun, right? said she with a sarcastic grimace.

        That isn't far w/regards the early puritans, including the settlers.
        They were a university movement and knew how to have a good time. The
        latter puritans can be a different matter.

        >Work degenerates into drudgery, imho, when there's nothing keeping you at
        >whatever it is *except* sheer economic necessity, threats of violence, or
        >fear of admitting that you've changed your mind.

        Yep. And one of the problems brought about by the 'dark satanic
        mills' of Saruman's reign, urr, the Industrial Revolution ;-)

        >Write on! And may you have many more flowers than thistles, unless of
        >course you're trying to attract goldfinches.

        ;-)

        >Jane

        >Get great offers on top-notch products that match your interests!
        >Sign up for eLerts at:

        ======================
        Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
        sschaper@...
        ======================
      • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2000
          In a message dated 01/05/2000 10:11:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          sschaper@... writes:

          << The
          latter puritans can be a different matter. >>
          Yeah, like my dad's family when he was growing up, i think.....

          lizzie
        • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2000
            sschaper@... writes:

            << Yep. And one of the problems brought about by the 'dark satanic
            mills' of Saruman's reign, urr, the Industrial Revolution ;-) >>
            Hup handy bit of trivia-dropping there, Steve. Was that the original
            application? Bet it was... makes sense now that I think about it, too.

            Lizzie