Re: Hogwarts Headaches

  • tghsaw
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2003
      >Message: 12
      > Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 07:35:35 -0500
      >From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>
      >Subject: Hogwarts Headaches

      >Have you all seen the articles on "Hogwarts Headaches"? My mom cut one
      from a local CT paper for me to read to the kids, but I think it was an
      Associated Press article anyway, so should be widely available. I thought
      from the title it would have to do with kids whining for HP related
      goodies, but it was serious, about kids getting headaches from reading for
      many hours at a time...

      >Lizzie Triano
      >lizziewriter@...
      >amor vincit omnia

      I saw the doctor who did the research interviewed (on _Today_, IIRC). He
      said he was surprised his article (published in a medical journal) was
      getting so much attention, as it doesn't involve anything serious or
      permanent. He said kids should take occasional breaks while they're
      reading, but even if they don't the "condition" clears up as soon as the
      book is finished. I'm guessing this is the first time such a long book has
      been devoured so quickly by so many kids, providing enough subjects to do
      valid research. And, of course, it *would* be a topic the popular press
      would immediately grab.

      --Trudy