Re: Oh Peter, Peter, Peter Beagle...

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2000
      Stolzi@... wrote:

      > From: Stolzi@...
      >
      > In a message dated 1/2/00 7:01:06 PM Central Standard Time,
      > unicorn@... writes:
      >
      > > The only thing I recall disappointed by in TAMSIN was that it had
      > > to end.
      >
      > But didn't you find that it took a long time starting? This was one of the
      > few criticisms that I - and many reader-reviewers on amazon.com - had. Too
      > much background, too much rambling in the (startlingly accurate) voice of the
      > teen girl narrator. Too long before they get to the farm and the
      > strangenesses begin to appear.
      >
      > Mary S

      Yes, it took too long to get to the farm. I was rather dismayed at the
      actions of the narrator while she was in New York. With her drug use
      and disdain for authority, she was headed in the wrong direction. I
      shudder to think what might have become of her if her mother hadn't
      taken her to Britain. I certainly was uninterested in the character in
      those early chapters.

      Berni
    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000
        bernip@... writes:

        > With her drug use
        > and disdain for authority, she was headed in the wrong direction. I
        > shudder to think what might have become of her if her mother hadn't
        > taken her to Britain.

        Where, as best I recall, she never even tried to get a connection or to
        light up. Does this mean that tougher schoolwork, hard field work, or being
        entertained by ghosts (I'm not sure which) removes the desire for weed? :)

        Mary S
      • Mary Kay Kare
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 8, 2000
          Stolzi@... wrote:

          > From: Stolzi@...
          >
          > In a message dated 1/3/00 8:59:05 PM Central Standard Time,
          > bernip@... writes:
          >
          > > With her drug use
          > > and disdain for authority, she was headed in the wrong direction. I
          > > shudder to think what might have become of her if her mother hadn't
          > > taken her to Britain.
          >
          > Where, as best I recall, she never even tried to get a connection or to
          > light up. Does this mean that tougher schoolwork, hard field work, or being
          > entertained by ghosts (I'm not sure which) removes the desire for weed? :)

          I didn't find her occasional marijuana use, or disdain for authority,
          particularly disturbing or even noteworthy for a teen-ager living in NYC in the
          late 90's. I do sort of wonder what explains the total lack of interest in a
          little pot once she gets to England. Perhaps a different social milieu and all
          those adjustments?

          MK