ADMIN: List review

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 1999
      From the list administrator:

      Just for a review: "This list is open to discussion of any topic related to
      the Mythopoeic Society, either of Mythopoeic works and authors, or of
      business related to the Mythopoeic Society." List content was
      discussed and approved by the Stewards, of which I am one.

      Therefore, book discussions are welcome on the list.

      As for list volume, the difficulty here is not a list with too much
      traffic, but too little. When this list has no traffic for one week, as
      happened last week, there is a flurry of people unsubscribing to the list.
      In managing other lists, I find complaints of too little traffic
      outnumbering complaints of too much traffic by about 20 to 1.

      Also, those simply reading the list vastly outnumber those who post
      to the list. Because of that, I would not anticipate this list becoming a
      high-traffic list anytime in the near future, and would therefore encourage
      ideas which might increase the number of on-topic posts, not to make this
      a high-traffic list, but to avoid people unsubscribing because days or
      weeks pass with no posts.

      Thank you for your patience and understanding.
      Joan
      List Administrator

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List administrator for DocEx, MythSoc, MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists
    • David Lenander
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 24, 1999
        Responding to the message of <92219.verba001@...>
        from mythsoc@onelist.com:

        > From: "Joan Marie Verba" <verba001@...>
        [. . . .]
        > As for list volume, the difficulty here is not a list with too much
        > traffic, but too little. . . .I would not anticipate this list becoming a
        > high-traffic list anytime in the near future, and would therefore encourage
        > ideas which might increase the number of on-topic posts, not to make this
        > a high-traffic list, but to avoid people unsubscribing because days or
        > weeks pass with no posts.

        If we started to see too much traffic, could you probably establish a separate
        mythopoeic book discussion list?

        David Lenander, Library Manager I
        Bio-Medical Library Access Services work: (612)626-3375
        Circulation, Core Collections & Reserve Desks home: (651)292-8887
        Diehl Hall/505 Essex SE fax: (612)626-2454
        University of Minnesota
        Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455

        e-mail: d-lena@...
        web-page: http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BirdnBab.html
      • Joan Marie Verba
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 24, 1999
          David wrote:

          >If we started to see too much traffic, could you probably establish a separate
          >mythopoeic book discussion list?

          Yes, I could, but I would do that only if the MythSoc list traffic became a
          problem. Right now, it isn't a problem; possibly, it might never be a
          problem.

          Joan
          List Administrator

          Joan Marie Verba verba001@...